Stoma Hernia

In this discussion
Replies
Views
boss

I had a hernia near my stoma repaired in April 09. I am still having pains and I feel cramped and gassy all the time. Can anyone out there tell me if this is normal and how long does this type of operation take to heal? Steve

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Whoa
Nurse
Boss

I recall you posting about your surgery and difficulties afterwards; you should have been okay by now.

This is not normal. Not sure the reason for your colostomy, but regardless, it is not normal. Have you followed up with your physician? I would recommend doing that....a gastroenterologist or your surgeon should do some diagnostics to find the problem.

Meanwhile, I would suggest keeping your stool on the softer side: avoid high fiber, drink plenty of fluids, and consider stool softeners.

Hope you post on the outcome. We'll all learn something.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

Whoa....you're the greatest....we are so lucky to have you here. I know I speak for everyone...we appreciate you.