Stump Mucus Passing Through Vagina

Replies
Views
Chatty Kat
On October 7, 2013, I had bowel resection due to severe diverticulitis with accompanying fistula. I was passing stool through the vagina. So I am now over 5 months post-op and getting ready for reversal. However, a couple of months ago, I started to experience occasional passing of mucus through my vagina. It is the same type of mucus that I occasionally pass from my stump. The doctor is puzzled. In an attempt to rule out a fistula, I have seen a gynecologist, a gastroenterologist for a colonoscopy, and a CT scan with accompanying barium enema, all of which were inconclusive. I saw my surgeon a few days ago, and he wants me to wait about three months before moving ahead. The gynecologist suggested a 3-month regimen of topically applied hormone, thinking perhaps the tissues in the vagina are dry and a flap of some kind has been created. He thinks the hormone therapy might soften the tissue and thereby close the flap, if there is a flap. He is not even sure about that. I am not happy about using any kind of hormone, so I am not sure what to do. The incidence of passing mucus through the vagina has no rhyme or reason. Sometimes it happens twice a week, and then nothing for weeks. My surgeon was planning to do the reversal laparoscopically, but now said if I continue to pass mucus, he will need to perform a full laparotomy. Has anyone else had any kind of similar problem? I will go back to see the surgeon in June. Any input would be appreciated.
mbrook

I had my bladder removed. A few days later, I started having discharge. They had me do exactly what you have done. I had what appeared to be dark brown discharge. It immediately began to take skin off the vagina and side of legs. I cannot explain the severe pain. The area was so raw, skin was weeping. Anyway, they gave me a rectal enema and they found a fissure immediately. I had to have it opened through the same original surgery to take more of the intestine to cover the hole. The final diagnosis was that the bowel was backing up through the fissure. It's such a long story for something I felt should have been easy to diagnose. I'm better now but went through 5 doctors to solve it. I wish you success. Sorry this has taken so long. I'm new to the site.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,369 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Chatty Kat
Right after I was admitted to the hospital on an emergency basis for full-blown diverticulitis, I developed a fistula between the bowel and the vagina. I started to pass stool when I went to urinate. Needless to say, I was both horrified and scared out of my wits. It was awful, so I know what you have been through. I had an emergency bowel resection/colostomy first thing on Monday morning. The surgeon did not even bother with a bowel cleansing. I was in bad shape. Each time I have a follow-up appointment with him, he continually reminds me of how sick I actually was. Guess I wasn't aware at the time of how bad it was. I was admitted on a Friday night, surgery on Monday morning, and was hospitalized for a total of 9 days. I had been in the hospital a couple of months prior with severe diverticulitis (pain like I have never experienced in my life!) but that hospitalization did not result in surgery. Just went on a lot of antibiotics, both in the hospital and after discharge. If I had gone through surgery at that time, I would not have spent all summer being sick and then ultimately winding up in an emergency situation. I was completely debilitated, which made recovery very long and difficult. It took me weeks to be able to eat--no appetite. I lost a lot of weight. All I wanted to do was sleep. And every time I stood up, I was dizzy. That went on for weeks. But I am now back up and running and ever so grateful to now have such an awesome surgeon. Hopefully, the reversal in a few months will go well.

I am glad to know that the doctors finally got you straightened out. And thank you so much for your input. By the way, I am also new to this site. First posting for me. I have learned so much from reading the experience of many others. It helps one to realize that we are not alone in our struggles. Good luck, and may you have a bright and healthy future! God bless!