Struggling with Sleep after Ileostomy - Any Advice?

Replies
Views
Taz-uk
OK, so it's been 12 days since my ileostomy and well, I'm still having to get up 3-4 times a night to empty my bag. Surely things should be getting some kind of routine or slowing down? The problem is, it takes me that long to get to sleep. I feel like I'm running on empty! During the day, I'm guilty of nodding off, which, yeah, great while I'm off sick, but is this what's going to become the norm? Today was impossible to go back to sleep, so at 04:45, I gave up and here I am again, up before the birds. Any ideas? ;

Taz x
mitdad
Hey Taz, only 3-4 times a night to empty? That is fantastic! It will slow down! Takes a while for the small bowel to slow down and start adapting to more of an absorption role. This used to be done by the large bowel. Try limiting your eating/drinking too late before bedtime. The type of food you eat plays a part to a degree. Most new ileostomates have to empty more than you do. This is normal and will improve and slow down as the ostomy matures. Your digestive system has gone through a traumatic change and needs to find balance. Nice bike. It is bike week here with 150,000 motorcycle bikers here. What a roar! My Corvette cannot keep up with them. Barry
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,455 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill
Hello Taz.12 days is no time at all in terms of surgery/convalescence. Even with fit and healthy people a rough guide is six weeks before hings settle down to some sort of 'normality'. The more concerned you are aboout the problems the greater they appear to be. Be patient, relax, take each day one at a time and you will soon be functioning more or less as you did before.  I'm not much in favour of taking pills but the sleep problem might need some temporary assistance as the body does not heal as well without it.Best wishes  Bill  
Primeboy
Hi Taz. You're getting some great advice here. Let me add my two cents. First, look at the crime scene. What is filling your bag? Air? Liquid? Solid? Probably a combination. Excesses will give you some direction. Too much air suggests leave off some fresh fruit and veggies. Definitely cabbage. Too much liquid might invite you to consider more Imodium, Lomotil or other anti-diarrhea med. Too much solid might suggest Weight Watchers. Second, pay attention to your body. This is very important. You should know when your stoma is active and when it is quiet. You'll be living in Pompeii for a while so pay attention to the timing of rumblings from Vesuvius. Finally, get a larger bag. I get a little more mileage out of a king-size model. So, all that said, keep in mind that we ileos tend to become dehydrated and that dehydration can inhibit sleep. I keep a bottle of Gatorade by the bed and chug-a-lug when I wake up. No matter what, you'll quickly get a handle on your situation. I did and so can you. Be well. PB
Primeboy

PS: Wifey brained me for being a smartass with my Weight Watchers comment. Excessively solid output indicates low hydration, not overeating. Dry output can lead to pancaking, blockage, and overflows. Nothing to an excess, right? Stay loose. PB

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Taz-uk

Thanks guys, much appreciative and 'lol' at Primeboy. I knew what you meant, it's awkward, the veggies. I'm vegetarian, but will start monitoring and it's air and loose mainly. I guess that patient thing again, which I'm not really good at. Mitdad, thanks about the bike, I'm counting down to when I can go out on it again. Love the freedom it gives me. Taz x

CAMC

Primeboy thinks that's my new favorite quote. You'll be living in Pompeii for a while, so pay attention to the timing of rumblings from Vesuvius. And he is right, you'll find some foods make you output more than others... chocolate does it for me. ????

Taz-uk

I think it's everything I eat, lol... I've gone over my diet with my nurse... Not good, apparently being a vegetarian is proving to be a nightmare with my stoma. Severe changes in what I eat and how the things I eat are cooked. Just a minor hiccup along the way, I'm sure.

LadyHope

Hi CAMC, I agree with you regarding Primeboy's quote....it is a great analogy. I noticed that you live in Wilmington, DE. Have you ever attended the Ostomy Support Group held at Christiana Hospital in Newark? I've been to that group a few times and it is very well attended. They have good speakers and information. I don't attend that group as frequently because the commute, traffic mixed with work at that time of the day is a bit challenging. I feel like I am playing beat the clock. Anyway, take care and Happy Spring to everyone.

Gt Grandma
To Taz,
I have had my ileostomy since 2001 and I was having the same problem.
My solution was to eat no later than 2.30pm for the main meal of the day, this way I will have a snack after the news at 11pm. The main meal has usually pretty much exited by then. Must admit I am a woman and am 86 as of St. Patrick's Day and I am on the computer after I take my night meds which includes the equivalent of 1 Tylenol PM (only 1) in a half an hour I am ready to go to bed and sleep all night, sometimes have to get up to potty about 6.30am but can go back to sleep.
Good luck there is a way to figure these things out, but how late you eat is why you are getting up also sleep on the right side, saves accidents. Been there done that one too.
Pat
Taz-uk

Thanks, GT grandma. I've been told to alter my meals, as in have my larger meal (tea) at lunch and then just a snack later in the day. So I'll give it a go. Maybe this will reduce my output.

Taz x

dragon2

Hi Taz Griffin's mum again... Julie... just found another blog of yours to answer... Pretzels are awesome with salt and they fill you up slowly, potatoes, pumpkin, kumara, avocado, banana, and peanut butter sandwich if suddenly you feel weak is an awesome balance of something substantial too!!! Couscous and pasta are good, really good... but the best is banana is bland and filling!! How's it going now? What do the kids think? Hope you don't mind me asking??

Past Member

Hey ;<>CAMC; read your bio. You may have a lot in common. ;) I have a colostomy also all my life. HMU sometime. :)