Prevent Pancaking/Mushrooming

Replies
Views
kevs1981

Hey guys, need some tips to prevent pancaking/mushrooming. I've had a couple of incidents recently where the bag gets pushed off. I know I need to increase my fiber intake, but wary of constipation.
My nurse recommended a lubricant they sell at my clinic, but don't like the idea of shelling out $20 a month on this if it doesn't work.
Any tips as to cheaper alternatives? Can I use something as simple as olive oil or baby lotion to help?
Many thanks and hope you're all well.

mild_mannered_super_hero

Since you have no replies, I'll take a swing at it. Is your remaining colon healthy? If so, ask your doctor if you qualify for irrigation. If you do, it will eliminate most problems with output and give you back more control of things. I irrigate and eat a high protein, low fiber diet. As for the lubricant, you might try a few sips of olive oil before you eat a meal. Remember, I am not a doctor, so ask him or your nurse before you try any big changes. Good luck.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,362 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Penguins7

Hi Kevs1981, I have had the same problem and I don't think the ostomy lubricants work that well and they are costly. I use a few drops of baby oil each time I empty my pouch. One of the keys is to blow some air in the bag so you don't get the vacuum keeping the bag together and creating the pancaking. I also use a stoma guard to keep the restriction at a minimum from my pants and belts. I hope this helps and best of luck. Penguins7

grahamditton
Hi Kevs1981, I used to have the same problem but, through trial and error, have worked out the causes of my mishaps. Firstly, I was taking around 4 Loperamide pills a day to thicken up my output, now I only take the occasional one if I am persistently loose. This ensures I am not thickening up already solid output which was forcing off my pouch.
Secondly, I have used a convex flange with a ring seal for the past 3 years. However, I felt that the ring and convex flange were too bulky for my shallow dimple and began to experiment with seals from other manufacturers. Eakin does a small ring seal in two thicknesses; I found the Slim version suited me the best.
In the last six months, I haven't had a single leakage incident and mainly put this down to these two changes to my regime.
I don't know your particular circumstances; however, there is probably a simple answer to your problem. You've just got to be lucky enough to find it. Good luck. Regards, John.