Just Need to Vent

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Family12

So in the middle of the night, I had a blowout....I didn't drink as much water as I should have yesterday, and at 4 am this morning, this is when I believe it started....So I am getting my supplies ready and my bathroom all set up and all, and then I realized I have no more wafers....guess what I was thinking to myself....that I'm a damn ass. How can I forget that I don't have any left....I was looking everywhere. I have some from another company which irritates my skin, but guess what...no choice....I change and all...this morning I go to the pharmacy to get some...guess what, they have none left in stock...their order is coming in Tuesday or Wednesday next week...the lady behind the counter saw how disappointed I was, and she said that she will look at something...she came back 5 minutes later and said that she will be able to get me some on an emergency. So in the meantime, I said okay, no choice....just hoping that I will not have to change again until I get the ones that I really use...I go to another pharmacy to see if they have any and no....so I'm pissed at myself....I come home, do some housework and all, guess what, my wafer is starting to leak and I'm in pain. I change and under my wafer, it's all red, rashy, and stingy....I'm really mad at myself....like this is like water for me, I should ALWAYS have some in the house...I'm soooo disappointed in myself, it's terrible....thanks for listening....

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero

Everybody has a similar horror story, I'm sure. I keep an extra bag/wafer in my glove box. I also have a small zippered case "travel kit" hanging on the closet rod. This way, if I want to go on an overnight trip, all I have to do is grab the "kit". I have had to use these supplies in an emergency similar to yours (my supplier was out one time). I suggest you prepare a similar "emergency kit" and put it away for future disasters.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Primeboy

Hi family. There's an old saying that readiness is all. Easier said than done, however. The good news is that you will not run into this problem again. Experience has taught me a few things. I keep extra supplies in my glove compartment, briefcase, golf bag, attic, and refrigerator. You might want to find out where the specialty pharmacies and medical supply stores are in your area. Also, keep in mind that many hospitals have pharmacies and may provide you with emergency supplies in a pinch. Good luck and don't forget to share some good news.
PB

Anoniem18
Well Family12, welcome to the world of ostomy. I suggest you write (snail mail or email or via website) to every ostomate supply company and ask for samples. If nothing else, they are there in case of an emergency. You might look into Stoma Seals from Costa Medical in Princeton, NJ, which might be usable with your supplies that cause skin problems. A stoma seal is like Saran Wrap that you place around the stoma and then place the wafer onto the stoma seal.

I read from your profile that while you may be 40 years old, you're a newbie when it comes to being an ostomate. I like a post - forget by whom - who would throw stuff out when 4:00 AM (typical time?) problem came around, and now places down a towel and goes back to sleep. You might want to consider using medical tape to tape down the edge of the flange, which might just delay the disaster (initially) or rather the incident (later on) until you are ready to step into the shower.

Hopefully, you had your massage (and the wine).

And solved your problem with the pain around the stoma. It's amazing how bad one's output is on the skin. Did you ensure you have the right size?

Have a great day

And remember, it will get better (hopefully)

And feel free to vent as much as you like, after all, that's what this site is for.

Ed
LadyHope
Hi Family12,

I am so sorry to hear about your problem and your level of frustration. This new normal takes some getting used to...at least I know it did for me. A wound care nurse told me early on to always have a month of supplies available just in case...and she gave me several scenarios. I have supplies in my purse, in the closet, in my car. I even keep a change of clothes, mostly undergarments, just in case. I keep tape too...if the wafer starts to lift, I tape it down with Hy-Tape (waterproof tape) and it buys me some time until I am able to take care of everything. Good luck and keep posting. There are so many great suggestions and good tips from everyone here.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister