What Is Medicare Trying To Pull On Us Now?

Replies
Views
joanmarie

I've had my ileostomy for 24 years now, so I pretty much what works on my body and what doesn't. 2 months ago, when I tried to order the Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film, I was told Medicare no longer covered it and I'd have to pay for it myself. Oh, I did receive a free sample of the NEW MEDICARE APPROVED product to try, which didn't work on my skin at all. So, today, when I'm trying to order one of the BARD WIPES I've used for 24 years, I'm told the same thing!Medicare won't cover it. I asked the person if these people who invent these new products have colostomies or ileostomies and she told me no, of course not. How dare they try to interfere with our delicate skin areas and the products that we know work so well?It's just unbelievable to me. Has this happened to others on Medicare?

mild_mannered_super_hero

perhaps the person taking your order is wrong about the coverage. i know that the "obamacare" law is going to change just about every aspect of healthcare as we know it. im not sure anyone knows exactly whats in the law, and some unpleasent terms are timed to take place months and years down the road so those responsible for it can deny they had anything to do with it. i suggest you call or better yet ;visit your congressmans local office and ask them to explain any changes to you. i would be interested to hear what you find out.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Primeboy

Hi Joanmarie,

President Obama took 700 Billion out of Medicare to help finance the ACA, so all of us seniors can expect to feel the consequences of this ill crafted legislation sooner than later. My wife and I have been notified that certain drugs we have been taking for years, even generics, are no longer on the Medicare formulary and we must do without them.

MMSH gave you good advice. I will just add this suggestion. Have your MD write a letter to Medicare indicating that the Cavilon film is the only effective product to meet your special need and that other products would create hardships. My doctor's appeal letter gave me a one year extension on a drug. The old saying about the squeaking wheel getting the oil applies. Make some noise. Good luck, and let's keep those politicians out of our medicine cabinets and ostomy supply drawers.

PB

Past Member

Hi Joanmarie.

I too was told last time I ordered my supplies that my insurance did not cover the 3M Cavilon barrier wipes. They told me to try these from Convatec. Well I am very upset. A few reasons. One why after 5 years did they decide to do this? Second the Convatec really stink. It did not allow my barrier to adhere to my skin. Third I also pay over 200 on supplemental insurance and I do not think they go by Medicare guidelines. I use Byram and they tried to pull this crap on me one other time. I use to get Ilesorb but one day they told me insurance does not allow it and to try a cheaper product. Well after a year I decided to try and order the Ilesorb and guess what? Miraculously it was covered again?? So on Monday I am calling my insurance company and finding out what is going on. I think it is just Byram trying to sell me a cheaper product that they can not seem to get rid of. Besides it is like 5 in a box and the 3M ones are 30 in a box. I feel if I have to pay 200 a month and my doctor gave me a script for the supplies I should get what I want. And if my insurance gives me the run around I will try what MMSH suggests.

Cornet

Hope this doesn't happen in the UK. I've had more comfort in the past few months after being introduced to Cavilon through this web site.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
TB Cat

I too use the Cavilon barrier wipes. They have worked very well for me for the last 4 years now. Last time I ordered some from Byram, they said that Medicare had lowered the allowable usage on these to 25/month. ( I had ordered 50). Rather than send me just 25, they waited for two months and then finally sent me 50. I'm not all that impressed with Byram Healthcare.

stomafart

OMG! how lucky I am in the UK where anything I need from mattress protective covers, cavilon sticks, spray and swabs in fact anything I need to bags, travel bag, wet and dry wipes, powder other pieces for sore skin are all free on a medical exemtion certificate, I even get my medicines free even if it has nothing to do with my illeostomy. I get so angry when people who go through ileostomy or a colostomy have to pay for all their medication and bags etc when they have been through enough and have to live with their toilet on their belly. Why should you have to pay for anything is beyond me. The cavalon stick are the best thing I have ever had and also colplast do extensions to the bag so I NEVER get a leak now and can keep my bag on for three days if I wish.I wish I could help, chin up my friend.

Regards

Stomafart (Jenny) x

Ngaire

Hi all.

What an interesting lot of information about what different countries supply to ostomates.

I wish I lived in theUK and got all those things. It sounds as though Americans are not doing as well as they use to?

Here in New Zealand we are very limited what we get from our Health System.

I am only "allowed" about 10 drainable pouches a month and the same amount of seals.

Cavilion, bags, wipes, plastic bags, pouch deodrants and whatever else we need we have to pay for.

And here,all these things are very expensive.

I know Australians are much better off than us.

Best wishes to you all. Ngaire.

betrdanevr

Until you get it figured out, you might try getting it on eBay. I was uninsured last year and bought all my ostomy supplies therefor a tiny fraction of what medical suppliers charge insurance companies.

betrdanevr

Oh. I just got insured under Obamacare, and I happen to be estatic about t.

hawk

I had divticultis that basically exploded my intestine, went through septic shock and lost 70 of my stomach musuels. I Spent 72 days in Shands along with other complications including loss of my legs. It took 2 months of therapy to try and learn how to walk again. I'm making a good comeback but yesterday I recieved letters from Medicare stating they would not pay for this or that procedure. I have a plan with United Heathcare that costs 500 a month, what is really going on with the Medicare Plan? I worked for 34 years for the state of Florida without any breaks in enployment and this is what I can expect? I have friends that never worked more than a year in any job and one guy had 2 open heart surgeries that did not cost him a dime. What should I do, live under the bridge and collect everything they have? I'ts called pride and I will not do it. Well Just Had to Vent, Hawk

betrdanevr

Hawk, I went through the same thing, the diverticulitis and the sepsis, but I only lost 12" of intestine. Good lord, you have been through the wringer.I'm on Obamacare for another year before Medicare, and, when I hear stories like yours, I don't know if I want Medicare, but I'm sure there will be no choice.

I don't know if the link below will offer anything for you, but if not, I'd call my congressman.

https://www.medicare.gov/claims-and-appeals/medicare-rights/get-help/ombudsman.html

And God bless and God speed to you. Makes my heart hurt that you have had to suffer so much!

Regards,

Terri