Managing Peristomal Hernias: Seeking Advice

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic provides advice and solutions for managing peristomal hernias, offering support and guidance for individuals dealing with this issue.
pfk914

I have had an ostomy for over 50 plus years and have slowly been developing a peristomal hernia. Has anyone else developed this issue? How and when have they dealt with the hernia?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero

Quite a large percentage of ostomates develop hernias. The failure rate for repaired hernias amongst ostomates is also quite high. Most repairs require relocation of the stoma and a second incision down the original one. In layman's terms, you now have 3 potential "hernia prone" areas where there was once 2. I recently had to have mine repaired because it was interfering with my irrigation. My surgeon suggested I refrain from lifting anything over 50lbs for the rest of my life. This involved a large lifestyle change for me. .... So far, I have managed to avoid heavy lifting. If the hernia is not causing any trouble, I suggest you live with it as long as possible. Lacking that, remember that your abdomen will be even weaker after the repair. Good luck whatever you decide.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Anoniem18

Didn't realize I wasn't supposed to lift anything heavy afterwards, now I have half a grapefruit with a carrot on top. Luckily it hasn't bothered me so far. And to offset the problem I made a special hernia belt (see My Pictures) which is a bit awkward but seems to help at least hopefully prevent it from getting worse. And how do you know if something is less than 50 lbs, you have to lift it onto the scale.

Checked something the other day figured maybe 60 lbs turned out 110 lbs then I had to take it off the scale. Guess I won't be carrying anyone over the threshold. Not that I had planned to do so, or if she is less than 50 lbs.

Ed

Bill

I too had not been warned about hernias and not lifting stuff - hence I ended up with a hernia.

I too have made myself a hernia belt the fits exactly round the stoma and has two adjustable belts for top and bottom. This is because I found that it needed more pressre on the lower part than on the top. It works quite well for me. However, It did convince me that these things are very personal and need to be made to measure for each individual andalso need to be continually adjustable. 

Best wishes 

Bill

Wilski

I developed a parastomal hernia when I had my colostomy. This lasted for about seven years. One night, Christmas Eve 2012, I developed an obstruction in the hernia. I had emergency surgery on Christmas day. They reversed my colostomy and gave me a temporary ileostomy. When my ileostomy was finally reversed in March this year, I also developed a really big hernia in my ileostomy. The surgeon corrected that hernia and reversed the ileostomy successfully as well.

My point is that I thought I was okay with the hernia and the colostomy, but it unexpectedly turned into a huge problem. Please keep this in mind and be very aware of your condition.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

My permanent colostomy was formed in 2003 after a colorectal cancer, stage 3, was removed. I too now have quite a large peristomal hernia, right on the belt line, as if I needed to increase my trouser size! I cannot wear a belt anymore and have to wear loose fitting trousers and shorts. This means another issue. Braces that work. I found a letter in the Ostomy magazine which directed me to a company that is actually a woodworking machine company called Carba-Tec. They have workman's clothing and have a range of very heavy-duty braces. These have very strong clips that do not let go. They have wide elastic material and are very substantial. They are NOT pretty!!! but very functional for men like us. I cannot see ladies using them.

Because I have had so much surgery I cannot have more as it is very doubtful that I can survive it. Therefore I am stuck with my hernia forever more however long that may be.

Douglas

bigal1579

You are very lucky to have gone this long without a problem. When you think about it, we basically have a hole in our stomach musculature, so it makes sense that hernias would be a typical problem. Mine came on pretty much right away, and my medical people suggested not doing anything about it unless it becomes really bothersome, because often the cure is worse than the affliction - the cure doesn't always work out well. Your commitment to no more surgery seems like a good way to go.

Personally, I lift weights, do sit-ups, and lift heavy things when gardening, and it has not gotten worse. I guess you never know, though, when one bad move might make it worse.

The one thing my surgeon said would almost definitely make it worse would be a noticeable weight gain. It's a good extra incentive not to overeat.

There are a number of belt/back brace products made with an opening for the stoma.

avery

I would be interested in seeing the pictures of your hernia belt.

Anoniem18

Hi Avery,

You can find them on my profile, view photos. Since admin changed the software I am unable to insert here.

Ed

three

Hi Ed,

I too was having trouble figuring out how to upload an image after this site changed several things, but I accidentally stumbled upon how to do it:

• Find image you want and display it on the screen,
• Right click image and copy it,
• Put cursor where you want to paste image into Forum and hit "Ctrl V"

PatinPickering

Hi PFK. The other responses should indicate that ostomates are prime candidates to develop hernias. FYI - Lifting isn't the only concern as sneezing can set one off!

In another thread, I described my hernia experiences but I'll touch on a few for you. It began in early 2007 in a discussion with my surgeon to clear up my peristomal skin, we talked about moving my stoma to the right side but we decided against this approach. He lopped off a few inches of remaining colon and fashioned a new stoma. Unfortunately, the hernia returned so he referred me to someone who works arthroscopically. With a huge amount of upfront discussion with Dr. John Hagen, we decided to proceed. As expected, it required 3 visits (but they're only ONE night).

If you research the topic, the most famous hernia clinic in the world (the Shouldice Hospital) does not treat parastomal hernias. These are complicated for a number of reasons not the least of which being, those of us with a stoma already have meaningful scar tissue from our original surgeries. It's not an optimal situation for a surgeon to work with scar tissue.

I understand that my hernia will probably return but this approach (utilizing mesh) created virtually no incremental scar tissue and seems effective.

Anoniem18

Sorry, paste Ctrl+V does not work. I have tried various methods. I think the only way seems to be to store it on a site and then include the URL. I notified Admin of the problem; they said they'll fix it shortly, but no go so far.

three

"Ctrl V" seems to work after I select and "Ctrl C" some online stories with a photo included?

Another serious allegation was leveled against Toronto Mayor Rob Ford on Wednesday, and this one didn't involve drugs, alcohol or a single vulgar comment.

A Globe and Mail report suggested the mayor and his brother may have used their positions at Toronto City Hall for personal gain, specifically the gain of the family company, Deco Labels and Tags.

But after months of endless scandals, most of which have featured far more visceral details than these hints of backroom dealings can possibly provide, is there anyone still listening? Or could allegations of an abuse of power do more to hurt Ford's re-election chances than any drunken stupor possibly could?

According to the Globe, a former Deco executive has come forward and confirmed that Ford and his brother, Coun. Doug Ford, held negotiations with a major printing company that would secure the company a significant amount of work with the city of Toronto, while at the same time working to secure the Ford family company a more profitable relationship with the printing company.

Anoniem18

Can't insert here, maybe if I were to write a story, but it would be better if admin fixed the software. Posted the pictures on Flickr anoniem18 or Ed Masrte

three

I definitely agree — the previous "Post in Forum" layout had a simple "Upload Photo" button. Let's hope the web tech can bring back that feature.

Lowel

Had parastomal hernia surgery last year using sling method. After research, found that it had a failure rate of less than 20% within 5 years compared to a 50% rate of moving stoma.