Constipation with Ileostomy?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses strategies and tips for managing constipation with an ileostomy, offering advice and support for individuals facing this challenge.
DawsyH

Hi there,

The last few days, I have had this horrible feeling the way that I felt pre-surgery when I had constipation. I have been taking Tramadol due to abdominal pain, and I'm wondering if this could have caused constipation. Is it possible to have constipation with an ileostomy?

Thanks, Hannah

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Scord

I was told no, maybe you have a blockage?

Do you have output? If not, I would contact your stoma team.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
DawsyH

I have some output but very black and liquid! It will be very hard to get through to anyone now as it's the weekend. Might give it another 24 hours to see if it gets better!

Scord

I am not the best person to ask as I am pretty new to this lol, but I was definitely told we cannot get constipated. My output is like a ghost at times, in fact it is today, but I don't have any pains. From what I have read, you know when you have a blockage as output is reduced or nonexistent, and you have bad pains. I think it can sort itself out, drinking lots can help, but sometimes hospital is needed. You can try massaging the abdomen too, I think.

Do you not have an emergency contact or out-of-hours service? If it all gets too bad, take yourself to A&E to be safe, better than risking it. But like I say, I am not a voice of experience and am still getting used to this strange way of life myself.

Scord

Please excuse the typos :-S, iPad! Hope you can understand it lol.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
MissMeganM

IDK, I don't like the way this sounds and I would suggest going to your closest ER, even if it's miles and miles away. Seriously, black stool - even with an ostomy is suggestive of bleeding - not to scare the EFF out of you, but it is - and really it is pretty hard to be constipated with an ileostomy. Keep us posted!

Seagirl1044

Have you been eating and drinking anything? If so, what?

DawsyH

Okay guys, took your advice! Just wanted to let you know, I went to A&E and I've been admitted under the surgeons with a bowel obstruction! Thanks for the push to go!!

Primeboy

TG, you got great advice and went to the emergency room right away. I am sure you will be feeling much better soon. Keep us posted.

PB

Scord

Glad you decided to go, get well soon :-). 

Scary this ileostomy business isn't it - (lol

Take care. X

MissMeganM

Glad you went!!! Feel better soon!

Past Member

Hey DawsyH, I'm Christian Levarity. :) I like your post. Wanna be friends with you. I've had my colostomy all my life, living in the Bahamas. Not many people are in my situation, and supplies are limited. I'm looking to move in the future as well. I'm hoping to make friends with people in my situation, which would be nice! And traveling is something I want to do as well, so hit me up if you're looking for friendship. :)

spinbot

Narcotics, morphine in my case, slow my ostomy down even at small dosages. Tramadol, I've not heard of, but I can assume it's a narcotic as well, can surely cause the same slowdown in bowels. The abdominal pain I get from taking too much of a narcotic is identical to a bowel obstruction. Ostomy output reduces or stops and cramps start. The only difference is that if I stop taking the narcotic and give my body a chance to rid itself of the previous drugs, the body will return to normal output. If it was a real blockage, I'd have to go to the hospital. If it was a partial blockage (still getting some output), then it would take 2 to 3 days before my body clears it and everything returns to my normal.