Is Ileostomy Irrigation Safe?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Bear

I have been reading about members irrigating and plugging illeostomy. Have also read it is dangerous. Please tell me more about it.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero

To qualify for irrigation, you must still have part of your descending colon, and it must be healthy. I don't believe you can irrigate if you have an ileo. Best to ask your doctor or nurse first.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello Bear.

I have been reading posts on here for some time now and I haven't come across anyone with an ileostomy who irrigates. I believe MMSH is correct in saying that it is not recommended for anyone other than those with colostomies.  That is not to say that I wouldn't personally be interested in this approach if the situation arose. However, even though I'm noted for taking risks and experimentation I would definitely be seeking advice from the professionals before even contemplating such a move.  Best wishes Bill

61smiles

Never irrigate an ileostomy. That's only for colostomies. Never insert anything in an ileostomy.

garfish

Why? A plug doesn't seem to be a major intrusion. And I have done minor irrigation when a mushroom was having a difficult time passing through. I do have an ileostomy. My doctor said to try the plugs and see if they allow a little more 'freedom'. Start with 8-10 hours just to see. I also have read plugs are only for colostomies but haven't heard a good reason why they can't be used for ileos.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Pinky

I have a colostomy and irrigate it every day. The idea behind irrigation is to "train" the remaining colon (sigmoid or descending, not transverse) to have regular bowel movements. It is said ileostomies' output cannot be regulated and therefore they are not appropriate for regular irrigation. I can't comment on "emergency" irrigation to address a blockage like a mushroom.

I've also never been able to use a cap because there are days my colon makes its own decision to "let go" in between times even though I'm into my 5th year of irrigating. I use a Hollister mini-pouch, which is pretty much like wearing nothing at all (most of the time).

Phoenix magazine has an article this month on irrigating. It is written by a Brit and it appears parts of the technique differ between the UK and the USA. Pinky :)

garfish

Thank you, Pinky. I just received the conceal plugs, so I'm going to try one tomorrow to see what happens.