Diet after ileostomy take down

Replies
Views
white rose

I would like to hear from other patients who have had their ileostomy reversed. What kind of foods were you allowed to eat after your surgery? What was the recovery time, etc.? My doctor said to eat whatever I wanted, but I am not sure this is wise. I also take pancreatic enzyme replacement to digest my food due to having my pancreas removed.

Primeboy

Hi White Rose. I had a reversal back in 2004. My surgeon was not at all concerned with my diet but only with two issues: lifting and sphincter strength. He was adamant that I not lift heavy items for 90 days. He also encouraged me to do Kegel exercises to strengthen my sphincter. In retrospect, I ate anything I wanted and had no bad results. I remember the importance of not overeating, however, because the J-pouch has its limits. Your best strategy seems twofold: go slowly with questionable foods but live life to the fullest. If you believe your doctor is competent, trust his or her judgment and have another cannoli.

PB

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,367 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Wilski

I had a reversal three months ago. You can eat almost anything, but beware of dairy and salads. Both of these things gave me a bad case of diarrhea. If that happens to you, take anti-diarrheal meds. Good luck.

blindsided

Wilski

I had my ileostomy reversal on Dec. 2 of last year. My surgeon said that he had no restrictions on what I should eat as my body would keep me informed of its likes and dislikes. Amen to that. I kept and still do keep a log of foods, certainly new ones I am starting to eat. I had an ileostomy to give my small intestine a chance to heal and six months after doing that surgery they reversed it. I had serious bouts of diarrhea and tried various medications from the doctors. I am currently taking Welchol and take Imodium as well. I eat pretty much what I want and life is slowly getting better. Along with the meds, I also drink Chamomile and Fennel tea. I put a bag of each in my cup and have 2 or maybe 3 cups of tea a day. I am becoming a believer in the power of the tea. Fennel goes back to the Greeks for some of the same uses. Dairy was and to some extent still a problem. I love ice cream but it does not always love me in return so I'm careful with it. A little Hagen Daz is a nice treat. I eat pretty much all veggies but some only when cooked/steamed. I like Thai and Indian food and eat it on a somewhat regular basis. I like very spicy food and when limiting intake I have no serious problems. Keep trying foods, both what you normally had eaten and introduce new ones but keep that food log. Life will get better, just keep on down the road.

Blindsided