Potassium: Anyone else experiencing fatigue, stomach pain, and muscle cramps?

Replies
Views
rosebud621

Does anyone take potassium on a regular basis? Recently, I have bouts of fatigue, stomach pain, muscle cramps.

Zywie

I don't, but I probably should. All the symptoms you are describing can be caused by a lack of potassium. But a doctor told me to just eat more things with it in it. Banana was a biggie, potatoes, things like that.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,369 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Primeboy

Zywie is right, Rose; eat more things with potassium. I would add the importance of good hydration. For me, Gatorade and orange juice work nicely. Potassium pills are not in everyone's best interest. (They can mess up heart rhythms and create problems for diabetics.) That said, be sure to check for possible deficiency in B12 in your next blood test. Good luck!

PB

PatinPickering

Hi Rosebud. I didn't realize that my potassium was an issue until pre-operative blood work for hernia surgery prompted a call at home. I got the same advice as Zywie: eat some bananas. I also got a prescription just for the surgery. Everything has been fine since.

Ms. Lady

Having lots of symptoms that could be related to low potassium. Guess I will have to have mine checked. Does anyone have really bad problems with acid reflux since surgery? Also having pain all down right side in gallbladder, liver area. Are all these common problems and what type of pain meds seem to work best without more stomach problems?

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Hi. I make smoothies for breakfast every morning and throw in a banana. I find blending the banana up helps digesting it. Gatorade also is a big help, especially in the summer.