Exercises for Ileostomy: Trimming Belly & Staying Active

Replies
Views
carolgeb60

Would like to know what exercises are good for an ileostomy person like me. I am 61 and fairly active and love to hike. I would like to trim down everywhere and around my belly area. Any suggestions? I did join a fitness center.

mollymoo

Hello there - I have an ileostomy as well and cannot find anything either on exercise. I have started going to local swimming baths again after a year - that's another story. However, although I do get some discomfort around my abdomen afterwards (only gentle breaststroke) - would like to hear back if you hear anything further. I should imagine gently hiking would not be a problem. Take care x

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mrs.A

Well, here is a link to a site for ostomates for belly exercises. Hope it helps.

http://www.stomaatje.com/belly_exercise.html

pussycat

Hi everyone,

I'm 64 and have had a lot of surgery, following bowel cancer, including a

prostatectomy, which worried me, especially with regard to horse riding, but I compromised

and bought a Viking tricycle and have not looked back. I use the option to cycle whenever

possible and have grown considerably stronger and toned. People stop to chat, asking

where I bought it from, even young men make complimentary comments. I recommend to

everyone, get on your trike !!!!!

Regards, to all,

Marilyn

Snookis Mum

Hi Carol

I have had an ileostomy for 3 years, and I go to the gym, do yoga, ride my bike, swim, pretty much everything I used to do before. The only thing is that I use lower weights during classes, and if I think I will be straining a bit, I use a hernia belt.

I was told not to do ab exercises like sit-ups, but that is simply not true. Just don't do too many. Planks are great.

The only real problem I have is that I sweat a lot (I'm in Florida) and that will occasionally cause the glue on my pouch to loosen up (if I have been wearing it for more than 4 days).

Hope this helps.

Sandi

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
vikinga

OK, I just have to share this link! If nothing else, it is eye candy for the ladies, but for all of us, it shows that if there is a will, there is a way. :)) Enjoy!

http://www.blakebeckford.co.uk/

Zywie

Thanks Vikinga....I guess crunches are possible. I've never been attracted to all those muscles, but I have to admit - he looks damn good.

chet8625

Losing fat is a matter of consuming fewer calories than you burn off. You really can't target one area.

Any exercise that burns calories along with a reduction of caloric intake will help you lose fat. Note I'm saying losing *fat*, not weight because as you exercise your muscle tone builds and muscle weighs more than fat.

The best way to notice whether or not you're losing fat is how your clothes fit. If you can burn fat and develop muscle tone, you may actually gain some weight but your clothes will fit better.

blueonthetyne

That's so true chet8625, I had my opp in March and feeling so well has encouraged me to exercise. I have an exercise bike in the house and have been using it often. I feel much fitter and my clothes are visibly looser but the scales don't reflect this. I've tried sit-ups but I find it uncomfortable with my little friend. I still don't have the confidence to go to the gym, but I'm working on it. Would love to start jogging again one day.

Bettyboophume

Hi. I'm on my second ostomy (emergency colostomy in 2012 due to a rupture from diverticulitis and reversal the same year. In July, I had an ileostomy (again an emergency surgery because of a rupture from torn adhesions, clots, and divertics). I have been retired for a few years and during that time, started going to the gym fairly frequently. I had been doing weights (I got up to 7lbs hand weights), core/abs work, Barre, yoga, zumba. Now I still do some of that, with lower weights. I do core/abs work, but if I feel a pulling, I back off. I do need to strengthen my core; it was quite weak. I also worked up to my own schedule as I could tolerate. It is now about 3 and a half months since surgery and I am progressing well. Do start exercising, do start slowly. If possible, work with a trainer or a PT to prevent injury.

Semra

The same for me. I work a lot in a physical job and also walk a lot. I will be starting weight training, it would have been nice to know.

Semra

http://www.blakebeckford.co.uk/fitness-sport-with-a-stoma/