Stoma swelling from blockage

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Penguins7

Well, after almost 2 years, I had my first blockage over the weekend. It was caused by eating too many peanuts. The stomach ache was awful, but here is what I did to relieve the blockage. I drank 2 large cups of hot tea and plenty of water. While laying down, I put my knees to my chest and rocked sideways while rubbing around the stoma area. Within a few minutes, the pouch started to fill up rather quickly. Anyway, my question is, how long will the stoma remain swollen (larger than usual) after the blockage is taken care of? If you have a blockage, make sure you cut a larger wafer to accommodate the swelling. Stay well. Penguins7

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

WAB

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?113044-swollen-stoma

Ahh, everyone knows peanuts are very hard to digest... lol... and if you are like me, you eat a whole bag at one time... overdo it... thought this link would help... as someone who had the same problem...

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Ewesful

I developed an enormous swelling and yet the stoma was not blocked -- the medical staff worked hard to reduce it with muscle relaxants and anti-swelling drugs -- it turns out I was deathly allergic to peppers in the pulled pork and I had developed an internal swelling on the remaining few feet of small intestines -- they were being forced through the stoma -- what a long 7 hours before I was safe -- it took prednisone (with more reactions) to get the stoma back to a reasonable size- it took one week after the prednisone stopped then nearly two weeks before it was normal.

I cannot eat peanuts but used to eat a cup of cashews daily until the surgery for FAP. They are so good for you -- I also ate a pound of sweet cherries without thinking and they actually dissolved all the glue from the inside outward -- learning curve gets pretty sharp at times!!

needcrew

I'm just reading and curious of what you guys mean when you say blockage? I obviously haven't had one yet???