Advice on Slowing Ileostomy Flow Naturally

Replies
Views
rdh21278

Hi. Can anyone give me advice on natural ways to "slow the flow" of my ileostomy? I am currently taking opium tincture, Imodium, and Pepto Bismol to try and keep from having to empty every two hours on average. They had to remove more of my small intestine than ideal. This surgery occurred 3 years ago. I have to set my cell phone alarm to get up and empty throughout the night. No matter how early I stop eating during late afternoon/evening.

I can have no few scripts as I am on Medicare. I fear leaving the house as to where I might be headed. I am nervous about restroom availability. I feel embarrassed when visiting people as I must use the restroom more than anyone else. This is getting old and I am getting tired. I am on disability for another reason, hence the Medicare. I am 53. When I first became ill and they said I might have a bag, my wife left me, lost my home, what job I did have, and had to relocate several hundred miles from my adult children and grandchildren. Travel is a challenge for me. Ok. End rant. Thanks.

Richard

mild_mannered_super_hero

A few food items I have heard mentioned to slow output are: marshmallows, potatoes, and some rice, pastas. I'm sure someone with more info will be along shortly to add to the list. Good luck.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,453 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

LadyHope
Hi Richard,

To add to the food list, peanut butter, bread, bananas, and rice pudding. Also, I saw a book written about short bowel syndrome. I have not read it, but it may offer information about nutrition and slowing down output. There is a pharma company that markets/sells medicine for short bowel syndrome. I apologize, but I can't remember the company's name. They spoke at my ostomy support group in PA last April. Maybe Google short bowel syndrome and the company will list. Lastly, I also get a little nervous looking for a restroom. Some public bathrooms are pretty nice and others...well...not so clean. It does get frustrating. This may sound silly, but I plan out my restroom stops. Brand new places are more challenging, but the ones I know make local travel fine. Good luck and keep posting. Others will also have helpful information to share. LH
Past Member

Potatoes in any way, shape, and form are my go-to food to stem the flow. Everyone is different though.

Found the following site that has a free guide available for those with short bowel syndrome, which may have some ideas.

https://www.shortbowelsupport.com/default.htm

Past Member

Some of the foods mentioned, especially bananas, can block up the opening of the pouch and push it off enough to cause nasty leaks, so be careful. It comes quite naturally now for me to wake up probably twice during the night. It's a lot easier to go to the bathroom and empty rather than be faced with a complete clean up and bed change. The only problem is getting out to do it in the cold.

All the foods mentioned do work to thicken. Don't eat huge meals. Little and often is best. I empty before and straight after eating. I was told I would only need to empty 4 times a day. I soon learned differently. Eat slowly, chew well, and don't drink anything too hot.

Also, if you tell people you need to visit a toilet frequently and may be a long time, they soon accept this. I carry a small container which will hold water so I can clean out the emptied pouch (mine being a one piece). Otherwise, it's difficult and takes even more time. At places where there are portaloos and no running water, I carry a container around in my backpack for rinsing out. At such times, the hand cleaning gel is also good to have with you.

It is a different life with locating the toilets everywhere you go (just in case!), but never let it stop you from doing what you want. Gradually, it becomes second nature.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Primeboy

Hi Rich. I am in the same situation as you but I have found a few things that might help. First, eating stimulates immediate flow so I avoid eating in between meals. My flow will stop about 60-90 minutes after eating so I can plan my 4-hour golf round with reasonable confidence. Also, I know I can change my bag quickly and without any flow about 2 hours after supper. Second, I switched to a high output drainable pouch (Hollister New Image 18013) which holds a lot and empties easily. Finally, when in bed, I have somehow conditioned or accustomed myself to check the size of my bag every time I become semi-conscious. This often happens when I roll from my left side onto my back. If the bag feels half full, alarms go off in my brain and I get up immediately and empty it.

On another note, I stopped feeling embarrassed using restrooms when visiting. Everyone has issues and we need to do whatever it takes to get by. Good luck!

PB

rdh21278

Thank you all who replied. Any information is appreciated.

daukdeb

Would be very nice to talk to you! Life can be so unfair!

Mrs.A

Hi daukdeb,

Do you know we have a chatroom? Most of the time someone is in the room but not always paying attention. You can chat there in real time.

Is everything okay with you? Your right, life is unfair sometimes, but other times it can be pretty fair. Post a question if you need some thoughts on any matter.

Someone usually will respond.

Past Member

Hi Richard,

I live in Ireland and I am visiting the US currently. There is a product called "Absorbagel" which will help with the large volume of liquid. I get this in Ireland and it appears to be available only in Ireland and Britain. I've been looking online and asking some medical professionals here in the US about Absorbagel.

Its main ingredient is PVA/Polyvinyl Alcohol which is a thickening agent used in the "Green Goop" that kids use on Halloween. I get it in the form of little sachets/packets about as big as a quarter. The sachets dissolve inside the bag and the contents absorb huge amounts of liquid and the liquid becomes like a thick pudding. A glass of water becomes a quarter glass of almost solid goop that will not flow.

Using Absorbagel, you will have maybe two visits instead of six!!! It gives great security when out and about. Large amounts of liquid will cause leaks if not emptied in time, especially at night or on long drives or public transport, etc. This stuff will change your life and allow you the freedom to move about and travel that you have never had before. I can fly from Europe to the US and use the bathroom only twice...and eat the airline food...not first class but you can't have everything I guess hahaha!!

I suspect that you can get Absorbagel sent to you from Canada because of its connection to Britain?? I will look it up and let you know.

I still get huge amounts of totally liquid output, after many years, so this will not change so the best you can do is to manage it. This product works like magic, just amazing stuff. Actually, "Kitty Litter" is very similar lol!!

I've searched Canada and it seems that you can only order it from Europe.

150 sachets for 73 English pounds. I use three sachets every time I empty my Ileo Bag. You might get away with two per empty. I'm lucky and get it free but it is well worth the cost even if you have to buy it.

I hope this is of some help. The food I eat seems to make no difference to the consistency of output. Ileostomy output will always be very liquid. The only thing that helps is Absorbagel.

All the best, Happy New Year....