Totally Recessed Ostomy

In this discussion
Replies
Views
alliejmw2

I have a totally recessed ostomy...the 4th stoma in 7 years and I am having it redone yet again. I can't even get the appliance wet or I have to change it. Does anyone have that problem? I used to subscribe to Phoenix magazine and I thought I saw an ad for these shower pants you can wear in the shower that makes the appliance area clean. Has anyone seen them? Does anyone have a problem ostomy like mine?
Allie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

skidder

Hey alliejmw2...just saw/read your post about a recessed stoma. I have had my ostomy since 1971 and have had no problems whatsoever with its anatomy. Reading some of the stories on this site was heartbreaking. Well, in Oct. 2013, I had a hernia repair and that left my stoma similar to what you are having. SO.......in July 2014, I had another surgery; it being a revision from the left side to my right side and several cm of intestine removed. The stoma was fine-tuned (!) so that it protruded more than the previous cut. Through my Insurance and Medical Supply people, Liberator Medical, I tried a Convex ConvaTec Skin Barrier or as I used to refer to it as the 'wafer'. Lo and behold, they have been a lifesaver. I sometimes use the Skin Barrier Strips around the edges when doing work outside, swimming. My lifestyle before the surgery in 2013 was so great. From 10-13 through 7-14, it was a nightmare. Now, all is good! If you try these, I hope you achieve the freedom I was so blessed to have returned to me. Either way, you will find something that works for you....and I hope it's soon as I know you feel the same way! Take care

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate