Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,228 members

Marshmallows solve a problem

Posted by alliejmw2, on Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:53 pm

i have found a great trick for all of you who have stomas who like to come out while you are trying to change the bag.  I learned it from a home ostomy nurse when we couldn't get a bag to fit on right.  if you eat like 5 marshmalls 15 to 20 minutes before you change it the marshmallows actually dry the little stoma up so you can get it changed.  and you even get a little break before it starts to flow again.

just thought i would share that little tidbit.

allie in nj

Reply by 61smiles, on Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:42 pm

Thank you allie from nj.

Reply by alliejmw2, on Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:28 pm

no problem.  I know it sounds very strange...I thought the ostomy nurse was nuts when she told me to do that...now I am never without bags of marshmallows.  5 of them normally do the trick...especially if you know ahead of time you are changing the bag on the following day so you cut out eating at a certain hour...but it even works when it springs a leak.  Depending on when it happens you might need to eat more.  I have seen it where I have eaten my few and waited the 15 to 20 minutes and it dries up but it will start trying to begin outputting again while we are changing it and I put 2 more down my throat and darned if it stops trying to output again!!!

Good lick if you try it and let me know if it works!

Allie

Reply by Margy, on Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:51 pm

I use a hair dryer to heat both seals of the ostomy bag and flange, not much, but then it fits right together.  Also heat flange seal with changing it out and then it's good for 7 - 10 days.  I haven't tried going longer.

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:25 pm

That marshmallow trick has been around since dinosaurs roamed the Earth, but thank you on behalf of all new ostomates!

Reply by GraphX12, on Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:37 pm
alliejmw2 wrote:

i have found a great trick for all of you who have stomas who like to come out while you are trying to change the bag.  I learned it from a home ostomy nurse when we couldn't get a bag to fit on right.  if you eat like 5 marshmalls 15 to 20 minutes before you change it the marshmallows actually dry the little stoma up so you can get it changed.  and you even get a little break before it starts to flow again.

just thought i would share that little tidbit.

allie in nj

So when you say, "dry the little stoma up", are you saying the stool flow stops or the stoma itself becomes dry/smaller? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I have to starve myself on changing days until about noon before the flow stops enough to where I can safely change it. My routine is always remove the old, shower, than apply the new. Thanks!

Reply by vollovr, on Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:40 pm

Why not do like I do and change first thing in the morning after going all night without eating? This is always the best time because of fasting with out food for many hours.Never have a problem.

Reply by Firefly, on Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:26 pm

Thank you allie in nj...I'm nor quite a dinosaur yet and I'm delighted to hear of something to help with a big problem I have even when not eating for 8 hours before change-out. I'm trying the marshmallow tip tomorrow and hoping for the best. Thanks again for posting .

 

Reply by GraphX12, on Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:44 pm
vollovr wrote:

Why not do like I do and change first thing in the morning after going all night without eating? This is always the best time because of fasting with out food for many hours.Never have a problem.


Because 1st thing in the mornings are the worst. I have to empty 3 - 4 times by 9:00. Even after not eating since 6:00 PM the night before. Then, by not eating or drinking anything after waking up on change days, usually by 10:00 - 12:00 it has tapered off.

Reply by nbaker, on Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:26 pm

I would imagine this is helpful for people with ileostomies.  I have a colostomy and I eat two times a day and my stoma is active two times a day.  I do my changes during my "quiet time".  People with colostomies need to be careful here with marshmallow, they are binding and can cause constipation/blockage.  I was warned by my ostomy nurse and a friend of mine who has had a colostomy for sevenyears to not eat too many marshmallows. 

Reply by Garinator, on Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:42 pm

I'm surprised no one mentioned this. Marshmallos, or any food with glucose or high carbs wouldn't be advisable for cancer patients like myself. Cancer cells feed on sugar.

Reply by toria, on Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:58 am

don' help urostomy patients

 

Reply by vikinga, on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:58 pm

Hi,

Although I know about the marshmallow trick and have used it in a pinch...even after an evening meal when there is a leak, I try to do my changes without because of the crap in the ingredients. We each have our "quiet times" except for urostomates. If I can, I change then, if not, I always keep some folded up toilet paper at hand while changing. Having the whole change ready at hand ahead of time helps a lot too. Standing at the bathroom sink while getting stuff ready in case of eruptions . I have even found that having the "intention" of a quiet stoma helps. Sounds strange but it seems to work most of the time. Most of all, not getting too stressed out about it is best. 

Carrying a couple of paper towels in my purse "just in case"  for damage control while out is a must. Fortunately, that has only been an issue twice in 2 1/2 years. 

Using a flat bedsheet folded up like a draw sheet on my bed for night time accidents saves on changing the whole bed. 

Just some practical tips.

Reply by alliejmw2, on Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:32 pm

lucky for me my mom stole like 3 chucks from the hospital on 3 different occaisions so I sleep under that so my sheet doesn't get ruined anymore.  I still cant get it to stop filling up with air at night if i fall asleep so I always have my cell to go off every 3 hours when I do try to rest.  the marshmallow trick has gotten me through a lot.  Luckily when I have had a leak in public it hasn't shown so I have been able to get home.

I don't think a lot of people know about the marshmallow trick.  When I first heard about it I thought it  was nuts.  LOL.

Reply by GraphX12, on Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:00 pm
alliejmw2 wrote:

lucky for me my mom stole like 3 chucks from the hospital on 3 different occaisions so I sleep under that so my sheet doesn't get ruined anymore.  I still cant get it to stop filling up with air at night if i fall asleep so I always have my cell to go off every 3 hours when I do try to rest.  the marshmallow trick has gotten me through a lot.  Luckily when I have had a leak in public it hasn't shown so I have been able to get home.

I don't think a lot of people know about the marshmallow trick.  When I first heard about it I thought it  was nuts.  LOL.


Alliejmw2,

Is your surgery recent? I too had severe problems with "air" during the night. In fact, before I knew I was supposed to wear the elastic support belt that connects to the wafer (Hollister brand) I woke up one morning and inadvertantly hit the bag with my arm as I was rolling over and popped the bag right off. There were many mornings it was so full of air I couldn't understand how it didn't explode. The Mayo Clinic ileostomy nurse told me I had to set my alarm clock to empty in the middle of every night. This didn't last long - I was getting such terrible nights sleep. But over time, it has been a year and a half since my surgery, things calmed down and I now rarely have this problem. I probably saw improvement within 4 - 5 months after surgery. Your body needs time to adjust to everything. Plus you learn what foods cause air and avoid those. (Unfortuneately I am "addicted" to Mountain Dew and carbination in a no-no for us) I never get up in the night now and, knock on wood, have not had a leaking episode in bed since that one event early on.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.
All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Currently online: 11    
5 members & 7 visitors
Klang (f)
liznyc (f)