Problems with bag filling with air at night

In this discussion
Replies
Views
alliejmw2

I don't know if anyone else has this trouble, but I find that every time I try to sleep at night, my ostomy bag fills up with air to the point where it lifts my appliance and I leak! So I have to try to keep myself awake all night so I can monitor it or set a timer so I am awake every 3 hours to check on it.

It doesn't happen to me during the day if I take a nap...just at night. It is driving me insane. It is bad enough that I have insomnia, so when I do get a chance to get some sleep, I really want to take advantage of it and I can't because of this.

Does anyone have this problem? Can anyone give me tips on what I can do? I mean, I make sure to cut myself off from food by 5pm and I only take sips of water or something through the night. I even have a bag with a filter that is supposed to stop this from happening. If anyone has any ideas for me, please let me know because I am at my wits' end. I can't tell you how many clothes this problem has ruined and I have to be sure to sleep either under a chuck from the hospital or a towel or my sheets get ruined!

Thanks for reading and hopefully someone will have some ideas because it's driving me nutters!

Allie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,104 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

beatrice

Hi Allie,

For me (ileostomy), I find that I have to be very careful of gas-causing foods/drinks ... especially from supper time onwards. There are lists around of gas-causing foods to limit and/or avoid.

Another one is don't chew gum.

Do you have a 2-piece appliance? If you have lots of gas, you may find that this would be a better system than a 1-piece for you. I 'burp' my bag and that makes a huge difference.

All the best,

Bea

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
mooza

Same with me as said above, it's what we eat and drink. I'm practically rarely sleeping more than a few hours a night as I get dehydrated so easily. There are so many foods I shouldn't eat, but I say that little prayer and eat popcorn. So far, so good. But you even get the blockage, which I do get AGONY AGONY lol. It takes a few hours to unblock and needs a chill pill to relax the muscles for pain. One twist in the bowel was my worst complication, but I do forget how many complications I have had.

Now go enjoy your food, maybe limit yourself a few hours before bed. HAPPY EATING MOOZ

Mrs.A

All I can think of is the Sure Seal rings. Although they won't do anything for the gas, they may help keep your bag on. Here is a link to the site where you can request some free samples. I have the samples and I am very happy with them.

http://www.alpglobal.com/Sure-Seal-TM-Rings.html

Homie With A Stomie NS

Hi Allie...give this a try even for 1 day...if your pouch has a filter, cover it for 1 day and night to see how that works for you...

Although it's said, "watch what you eat or drink" on this subject, we all react differently. One day you eat something and all is fine, two days later you eat the same thing again with totally different results....Myself personally, I eat what I want, chew the out of it, followed by water of course, and no issues....I drink soda, coffee, and I chew gum, etc., each with different results....

Sometimes simple is the solution.

Tracy

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister