Hernia fixes: Why do they keep coming back?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
mooza

When and why do we have hernias fixed and they always seem to come back? I have had a parastomal hernia (HUGE), had the mesh done, and my old stoma site has more scar tissue. So now I hear that the parastomal hernia has come back. It really does my head in. These operations never seem to work. But saying that, I have chronic severe nerve damage. Folks, please read stories as I would never have had 9 operations to be left to live my life in pain.

No medications are of help, not really. And side effects, won't even go there. But I hope. :)

Hope all the new and not so new Osties are healthy and happy. As life has got in the way of me popping in, so I will try to pop in a little more. But as I see time after time, NO ONE IN CHAT ROOM!!

I'm in Australia, so note your daytime I hear so much about means my daytime. I'm talking to you while I'm out and about, as no one has been in the chat room. So adios amigos, later. :)))))))

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

betrdanevr

I am so sorry to hear that you are in pain. I was just searching the internet a few minutes ago about hernias. I had one pre-colostomy. Then I had a parastomal hernia, and I'm pretty sure I have one again after my reversal in the early part of September. I'm going to see my family doctor Wednesday and see what she thinks.

From what I read, these damned hernias are pretty common. :-( I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
mooza

Thanks for your reply. I doubt me carrying a heavy box of beer was of any help. Though, I don't like to feel like I can't pick things up, I try not to. But as an ARIWS, maybe I'm a tad more stubborn. Cheers, and I hope you have a lovely day. Thanks, MOOZ.

Primeboy

Hi Mare. While you're getting ready for some nice warm weather down under, many of us on the far side are now getting ready for a long, cold winter. Maybe we will stay indoors more often and be at our computers visiting in the Chat Room.

By the way, wasn't that an awful spell of weather? You have company.

PB

vulcanBMk2

Hello... Oh Wild Colonial one!!

I had a big post of Incisional hernia a few years back. My surgeon fixed it for me, as I think he felt responsible. Did me a tummy tuck, straightened out scar line & repaired hernia with mesh. 27 staples. I used to play tunes on my staples like a xylophone... lol.

Held up well, small pot belly has returned due to my liking of English real ale. Never did get a stoma hernia, maybe because I'm Urostomy not Colostomy.

It's now been 7 years since they removed my bladder, seems just like yesterday. Doesn't time fly when you are enjoying yourself...

Hope that they get to the bottom of your problem soon & you start to recover...

Tip... get one of the servants to carry the beer!!!

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
mooza

Hello Mr. Sir Vulcan, you cheeky bugger! Lol. Apparently, they won't touch me after all this nerve damage I now have. So, as they say, up ya bum (pardon the pun). And for the beer, try a VB or Crown Lager, preferably a cold one. Lol. MOOZA... Well, I picked a winning horse in the Melbourne Cup but can't pay for no fix up on this wild gut of mine. But maybe I'll come to the UK, okay? :)

mooza

John - aka Prime, I've seen the blistering cold weather you're having. My heart would break for you, but as you know, I have no heart. LOL! It's spring and I'm waiting for Melbourne's topsy-turvy weather to sort itself out. Well, it's like my pain - okay for 10 minutes, rotten the next, and insane over and over all in the 1 day. Zeppo Billy, I miss you. And John, you're on my FB and you got my Dodo emails. LOL! Yep, I have another one. Hope you get my emails. Cheers, Ozzy.

Jimbo

Hi Mooza, I have Crohn's and a colostomy. I have had three surgeries this year due to hernias. This is the first time I've been off work for the whole year, and I don't know if I'll be able to go back. I'm up to about 9-10 surgeries now, so you're not alone. I'm in Australia, specifically Perth on the other side.

Cecille

I have a parastomal hernia that is getting bigger and bigger and bigger... What do you suggest I do about it please? What is the reason for nerve damage do you think?

Looking forward to anyone's advice! I am in the UK, Surrey.

PatinPickering

Hi Mooza. I'm not sure where you're calling home but if you're in North America, you really should seek a referral to Dr. John Hagen (Minimally Invasive Surgery Group in Toronto - 416-782-2616).

My colostomy surgery was 20+ years ago and in 2010 I began experiencing issues related to a parastomal hernia. My general surgeon tried a revision but the problems persisted so he referred me to Dr. Hagen who admitted that he'd never done this sort of hernia repair before. He warned me of "normal" issues related to laparoscopic surgery and informed me that the hernia will probably return. We went forward: it took 3 tries but in May 2011 he was successful and here we are over 4 years hernia-free! His team is stupendous and the entire group at the hospital is "off-the-scale" ...

http://www.misgroup.ca/index.php/surgeons (their typical patient is seeking weight loss via banding surgery).

mooza

Hey Patin, I'm in Australia and the person. And no, I'm not alone. But as I say it, we walk in our own shoes. My nerve damage is at the crippling point, like fetal position. The only thing that helps is big doses of painkillers, and I'm sick of having to get up during the night to have another pill so I can sleep. It gets to a point where I wanna rip my own guts out. ARGGG

I'm alone in my pain. I would love to share, but I care too much. LOL. I can't really travel, especially to the USA or Canada, unless they do free surgeries (doubt that). I just want some of the adhesions to try and be sorted. Less pain would make my life soooo much better. I want to work and be paid. My volunteering has helped very much, but who works so hard for Ostomates and real work for free with no money to get on with life? All my friends work, and I left full-time work the day I was 33. Just, I get really pissed off :) Hope everyone has a lovely Chrissy though. Cheers, MOOZ

Beach weather and I'm stuck with some sort of bug. If anyone in Melbourne knows of a surgeon who deals with chronic nerve damage, I would love to see them. xx

mooza

You may have had 9-10 surgeries. How many stomas have they put on you? This is my third time as I had a HUGE ULCER, so I was reversed 3 times. Now I'm left in agony with this concrete scar tissue. I walk alone. :(

mooza

Nerve damage is from having the nerves cut so many times. Have you not noticed after your operations that you can't feel your skin? Mine is now numb and I can only feel pain deep inside. But as I have lost 14 kilos, it seems worse. And I have now got another parastomal hernia. I think the more operations you have, the weaker your muscles are. :)

wildlife

Hi Mooza, I just joined the site today (from South Africa). Please give me more information and success of the parastomal hernia mesh procedure which I am considering. I have no pain but a bulging "Melon" ostomy which has developed a hernia in the supporting stoma wall. My ostomy lasted well until I worked in the garden, which caused the hernia. It will be great to hear of your experiences with the mesh.

Jimbo

Lost count. Been relocated more than 5 times so far. On the second round of mesh, have the largest mesh in there now. After the latest 3 surgeries, I have another hernia waiting on surgeons to operate again. It's a permanent ostomy I have as they removed the rest of my bowels due to Crohn's damage.

Past Member

Truly feel for everyone here, I'm only just acknowledging my own physical pains. Need to get my hernia seen to as well, in my case it will be the second one I've ignored till now that is since arriving on this site. All of you here take care *hugs*