Meet and talk to 20,116 OstoMates

Counselling

Posted by Daz1985, on Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:28 am

Hi all. 

Hope everyone is well.

I am currenly doing an introduction to counselling course with a view to becoming a counsellor. The introduction ends in a few weeks. If I decide to continue next year it will be a three year course.

I wanted to ask if anyone used any form of counselling or therapy during your various experiences and what your opinions of it was?

Thanks

Daz

Reply by iMacG5, on Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:45 am

Hi Daz.  Can't speak for anyone else but I think most of us are well in some respects.  Being here helps us evaluate our situations and put things in perspective.  I feel like I've been counselled by many bright, caring, compassionate folks here.  I don't remember asking but people who had situations similar to mine jump in and tell how they handled it and, by that, I've been counselled well.  Some of us have gone for help with anxiety, depression, PTSD and just being totally unhappy with our situations.  IMHO a person who has not experienced what I did can't understand my feelings regardless of the number off degrees they might have earned.  An ostomate, however, with psych training can be very valuable in helping other ostomates.  A healthy person could read all the books, attend all the seminars, do graduate and post grad work and still have not a clue as to how I feel.  Chrohn's, cancer colitis and the crap that we experience to make us better can't be taught; it's learned.  

Go for it, you'll be good for folks like us.

Sincerely,

Mike

Reply by mooza, on Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:45 pm

Imac well said i wiill never see a councilor as you have pretty much said what i would even if the other person had an ostomy thres the ugly pain after too many operations , I have had 2 reversals i think and boy what a hell of a ride if i was to keep the first stoma i would think much differently as i was in much better condition and PTSD is way up there i also try to keep my mind busy or go to that desert i see in my mind its not about whats there as any desert theres not many people and mostly sunny and nothig else but a warm feeling its not a alone place its just peacful Smile MOOZ, sorry i havnt read your questions so if you can direct me i will take a squiz-look|at it lol

Reply by Immarsh, on Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:08 am

Hi,   I was ill for three years befor I had my surgery at 15, and my parents, doctors insisted that I see a therapist councellor.  It was productive for me back then, because I had to deal with the isolation of being hospitalized, the trauma of all the procedures, and the lack of a social life, because I was not allowed to go to school.   I don't think a good therapist needs to go through exactly what we did, but it does help to have the knowledge, background and dynamics of those who suffer from chronic donditions.  In the years since, I've sought out therapy, when I was struggling with a specific issue...

sick children, dying mother, trying to find my own voice in a difficult marriage, and then again, when I finally separated and eventually divorced.   I'm a special education teacher, and know first hand how difficult it is for partents of children with illnesses, or conditions  to cope with ongoing issues. 

Good therapists are a useful tool.  So best of luck to you.

Reply by PatinPickering, on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:10 am

Hi Daz.  Given the location of my tumour, during my sugery (colon cancer), a colostomy was required.  My tumour was less than 2 mm.  This was over 20 years ago.

With regard to your question about my opinion:  the psychiatrist visits were entirely UNrewarding.  I was better off talking with the balance of the team.  He did, however, have a name for what I was experiencing, "survivor's guilt".

Reply by gordonc, on Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:33 am

Hi Daz,  I have had councilling in various shapes and forms over the last 23 years, I had a spinal injury in 91, had to learn to walk again etc etc.It also ended my working career as I knew it too. Counselling doesn't work for everyone, but did for me, I changed my view on life after one session of counselling and went on to do a lot of counselling type work with young people. I DO NOT claim to be a counseller,but very much believe in it. 

Good luck in doing your course, I am sure it will be very well worth it

Gordon

Reply by Daz1985, on Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:56 am

Thanks to everyone for their input. Seems to be a difference of opinion as to what people think of counselling.

I have decided to go ahead with the course (or at least apply) as I believe it could potentially be very rewarding.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.