Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,247 members

Travel questions

Past Member
Posted by Past Member, on Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:10 pm

I am the owner of a colostomy and a ileostomy. When I travel to my dr apptointments (surgeon and Gastroenterologist are an hour's drive). I wear a two piece and what tips does anyone have when draining there bags? I currently bring a red solo cup and drain into the cup and then pour into the toilet after cleaning and closure. I am scheduled for re-connection on December 30th. 

Reply by Mary Ann, on Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:16 pm

I find that taking imodium really slows down output, I mostly take it when I start to feel dehyrated, but also when I dont want it to fill up so fast.  Amazon has a great deal on it.  Output really sped up when I got switched from colostomy to ileostomy. +

Reply by Primeboy, on Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:53 pm

Hi Mom. I drain directly into the toilet. First, however, I put toilet paper or tissues across the water to minimize splashing; then, I get the bag as close as possible to the impact area before releasing the contents.

Mary's point about Imodium is good. Although it's an over the counter drug, see if your doctor can write you a prescription. Under my insurance plan, I used to get a 90 day supply (6 tabs a day) for about $5.00. Maybe your insurance plan will allow that too. Good luck!

PB

Reply by Penguins7, on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:12 pm

Hello Momma,  I have two methods for emptying bag.  If at home I speard toilet paper just above water line and sit and dump.  If i am in a public facility, I put lots of toilet paper in bowl and stand and get as close (slight kneel)as possible and dump.  This method works well especailly since i wont sit on public toilets.  The immodium is avaialbe in bulk (2 bottles - total 400 caplets) at Costco (Kirkland brand).  They are in a bottle which is convenient so you dont have to unwrap each pill before you take it.  I would get rid of the solo cup as this is not necessary.  Good luck.  Penguins7

Reply by mooza, on Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:12 pm

hey there i have a Ilieostomy and yes i can get about 12 boxes for $6 but im in australia and medicare pays that , as for travelling i will put this out there i use the Gel as the output is to watery i also have useda cup , God help those who would think it some kind of slurpee LOL and YUK, its a idea that i thought up myself so guess we think alike but as all the above mentioned all great answers use the Ileo gel im a convert and Prime why dont u just sit on seat and let the flow go ? Smile no way would i stand up im a lady loool sitiing is much easier as for the cups keep going if its not so bad and your a couble ostmate I bow my head to you XXX keep on travelling MOOZAcool

Reply by mooza, on Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:15 pm

lol good luck everyone cool

Reply by livinnandlearnin, on Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:42 pm

I've had my ileostomy for over 4 years now so I'm an expert at emptying it. Here's the detailed description: First, do this while sitting on the toilet. Start by putting some toilet paper in the bowl. This will decrease the "splash factor". Hold the end of your bag up so nothing comes out when you open it (try never to let it fill more than 1/2 way). I have the kind of bag that has a Velcro & fold over opening. I open the bag and fold back the top which should be fairly clean but I wipe it with TP if needed. Then I hold on to the end, part my legs wide and aim the bag down quickly between my legs so it empties into the toilet. When it has drained, I put in a few squirts of Na 'Scent (if you haven't discovered this product, get it immediately. You will have NO odor). I wipe the opening of the bag with TP and then close it up. If you get free samples of Na 'Scent, it comes in these convenient little bottles that are great for carrying in your purse and will last about 3 uses. I also live an hour's drive from most of my doctors. I just usually try to eat light before I leave and I'm usually fine. My output is almost always completely liquid but there are things you can do to slow the transit time of your food and liquids. Questions? I hope that helps. 

Reply by Primeboy, on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:09 am
mooza wrote:

and Prime why dont u just sit on seat and let the flow go ?  MOOZAcool

Mare, don't you know? Old teachers never sit, they just stand and deliver.

PB

Reply by octobersunrise, on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:55 am

Oh, you lucky gal...getting rehooked.  Wishing you the very best.  Soon you will not need to worry about this question.  I use a plastic water bottle and carry it in my purse.  I buy a new one everytime I go out anywhere, drink the water, put the empty in my purse, and use when necessary.  I toss it if I am coming home right back home.  If I have other stops, I rinse it well with hot water and put it back in my purse.  I never let the mouthpiece touch the bag.  I've become a skilled "pourer".  

Reply by GraphX12, on Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:09 am

I can sometimes make it 4 hours to visit my daughter in college, though usually I have to make 1 stop. I too have a lot of liquid at times - I try to snack on things like peanutbutter crackers - the peanutbutter seems to help in thickening things up. I'm a "semi-kneeler" - which usually is tough on the thighs but my technique is to flush the toilet just before emptying. That way everything flows downward with the flush and minimizes splashing. (Those automatic flushing toilets are a pain though - it's hard to get the sensor eye to recognize it's time to flush if you're not sitting undecided) I always carry a couple of water bottles for rinsing and flushing the bag. Then do the typical clean-up and closure.

I have tried all those expensive so called deodorants on the market. JUNK! Following a tip from someone on this site I always use a couple of drops of Eucalyptus Essential Oil. It works WONDERS!

Reply by Veronika, on Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:23 am

Hi everybody

I have got an ileostomy 2 mo,yj ago and I stii have trouble with to liquid output. can you suggest some food or other method to make it thicker. 

Reply by GraphX12, on Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:27 am
Veronika wrote:

Hi everybody

I have got an ileostomy 2 mo,yj ago and I stii have trouble with to liquid output. can you suggest some food or other method to make it thicker. 

Hi Veronika,

I had my ileostomy almost 2 years ago and I still have a lot of liquid. One of my problems is I like to drink pop. This not only adds to the liquid output but also creats gas. 2 foods that work well for me in thickening things up are potatoes and peanutbutter.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.