Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,168 members

If It Ain?t Broke, Don?t Fix It

Posted by iMacG5, on Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:52 pm

We’ve heard the expression, used it ourselves, possibly, and it makes sense a lot of the time.  As an ex Electrician, Trouble Shooter, Time & Methods Tech and Engineering Project Manager, I’ve always been in the business of fixing broken stuff or improving equipment and/or processes.    Now that I have my own equipment and processes to deal with daily I’m trying to make it all as good as it can be for myself and anyone I can help.  We’re all different in some respects and there are so many variables.  The shape, size and location of our stomas, ileo or colo or uro, the shape of our bellies and our skins’ ability to handle the adhesives are just some of the things we address regularly and they’re not the same for all of us.  They\\\\\\\'re also the things like the hands we need to care for ourselves.  Our dexterity differs and some may suffer with arthritis or other limiting factors.  Then there’s the mental and emotional components and the differences abound.  

I consider myself blessed or just lucky depending on who\'s evaluating.  I’ve used the same type of supplies for 2-1/2 years, change every 7 days and managed the couple skin problems fairly simply.  That’s after 2 months of experimenting.  That’s just me and I pray others could have at least that level of success but again, we’re all different.  My whole point here is, maybe we should not wait ‘till it breaks before we try to make it better.  It’s a question.  There’s so much expertise here and so many people just itching to help make it as good as it can be.

Sincerely,

Mike

Last edited by iMacG5 on Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Reply by mild_mannered_super_hero, on Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:22 pm

interesting post mike. it sometimes breaks my heart to read of the problems newbies experience....i can remember oh so well how i made every mistake possible back when i was new. now i can almost forget i have an ostomy......as long as i keep my diet, irrigation , and skin prep basics down.  i can reliably get a couple weeks wear time out of a flange, when i was new 3-4 day was tops. some credit must be given to       the companies who produce the supplies....things have greatly improved since i was new, the eakin seal alone basicially doubled my wear time...god bless the fellow who came up with that idea.  

Reply by iMacG5, on Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:48 pm

Thanks for the reply MMSH.  If I might take the liberty of adding to your last sentence....... and God bless all the folks here who have shared their trials, tribulations, successes and failures so we could learn and make it better for all of us.  

Sincerely,

Mike

Reply by The bags collection, on Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:47 pm

Hi!  I'm new to this forum.  I been having surgeries pretty constistently between 2008-2014 and I always try to make that the end decision AFTER I have exhausted every medication and changes to my life, because I know what's I'm on that operation table..that's it, but I have comfort in knowing I did all I could.  I really enjoyed reading your post.  I hope that I can be a help to some here and I'm sure I will lots of advice and help.  Happy Sunday!

Kat

Reply by Cecille, on Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:15 pm

What an excellent, erudite comment!

Reply by Redondo, on Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Hi.. I have been using almost the same products that I started with 40 years ago. Now, it's not that I don't like change, because I have tried other products and I still haven't found anything else as good. Mind you, years ago I switched to the Eakin Seal which is great. I have tried other seals that don't compare.  The pouch system that I use is from Marlen (a little company in Ohio). The pouches themselves are very thick plastic and strong and I use them with a semi-flex mounting ring and o'ring. It is definately a cumbersome system, but the pouches don't russle or crinkle up and you cannot see anything through them at all.  I can usually go 1 week before needing to change. My only fear is that the manufacturer might stop making them and switch to the newer and so called better type of product. Then, I will be SOL. Sometimes the old adage that they don't make em like they use to holds true. So for now, I ain't changing the system.

Reply by lakeland, on Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:50 pm

Dear Mike:

my personal observation is that this forum should invite some of the suppliers, such as Hollister, to reply here. Their input might help answer some questions which are out there being asked. It seems strange that a bunch of users are trying to answer all of their own questions. Supplier input might be what many of us need. My wife is new to the urostomy trade. Being paraplegic and still recovering from surgery, her problems are somewhat unique. She must temporarily rely on me to manage her ostomy hardware. I have been quite successful considering I have only installed a few pouches. So far the only information I have had has come from wound lady at hospital and what I can gleen from suppliers in literature and on Internet. Anyway, just a thought! Why not invite suppliers to participate?

Sincerely,

Bill

Reply by WOUNDED DOE, on Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:04 pm

iMacG5 ..........that was a seriously great post.

Smile

Reply by iMacG5, on Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:33 pm

Somehow I lost this after replying to MMSH.  I just wanted to thank you Kat, Cecille, Redondo, Bill and Doe for your comments and generosity.  I apologize for “losing” it. 

We’re learning so much from each other and there’s more to come.

With sincerest appreciation,

Mike

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.