Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,177 members

New Ostomy Design-student Looking For Feedback

Posted by jxth881169, on Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:33 am

Hello everyone,

My name is Kai and I'm a design student at Pratt Institute, NY. I recently designed an ostomy bag in my medical design class and I really would like some feedback from real users. Since my research mostly came from online articles, the design is definitely not perfect and any suggestions/critism are welcomed. Hopefully I can get the product tested with some users if possible.

You can check out my project here: https://www.behance.net/gallery/22214915/Cameo-Ostomy-Bag-Design  Behance is a platform for professional designers and artists, no viruses I promise!

Thanks again!

Reply by mild_mannered_super_hero, on Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:34 am

welcome to the forum. interesting design. if i can be of any help just let me know.

Reply by Zywie, on Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:40 pm

Hi Kai,   It looks expensive.  Rubber tends to stink all on it's own with no help from anything else, wondering how that works with that tube on the end (wouldn't it be harder also and stick out more?).  Also, how pliable is that rubber?  I need to be able to stick my fingers and toilet paper in there to clean it out well before I wrap it back up. It doesn't look any smaller than the thing I have sticking on my belly right now - definitely not smaller expanded. The colors are pretty- would lessen the need for an ostomoy cover if I used one.  I don't use them.  I wouldn't wear anything that would show them, so the camo effect doesn't impress me. And really, we don't need help in knowing when the damn thing is full and needs emptying.  It has it's own cute little ways of telling us. If the "forms to your belly" part is true (and it stays that way through the whole use) that would be excellent.  So far, even if it says it does, it does not.  If the tape sticks until I'm ready to change and it really, really, really, does not cause skin rashes, etc. That would be excellent too. And will the insurance companies pay for it?  That's always a biggie.

So far in my escapades with this thing I have decided I like Hollister's tape, Convatecs moldable part that goes around the stoma (no need for cutting the hole - only drawback I have found to that is my stoma changes size so much in one day that hole is not always comfortable) and I loved Coloplast's whole appliance for the first few hours I had it on because it felt like I had nothing on at all and looked like it - until I actully pooped and the whole thing fell off. Thus tellin me why it felt so comfortable on. 

That's all I can think of at the moment. With that being said, I'd try it out to see how it works, feels and looks. But I really can't see what it has to offer that isn't already out here- besides the colors. 

Reply by LadyHope, on Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:07 pm

Hi Kai, Thank you for sharing this design with us.  Zywie's comments really sum some things up for me.  Rubber products hold the odor and we do our best to have things odor free.  I am not a mechanical person but the design shorter to longer seems to be restrictive.  I may need to see the sample in person to see how proto-type operates.   What I really liked is the design of the pouch with the colors, darker at the bottom and lighter at the top.  That was very clever and creative.  Pouches are medical looking and unless you buy a separate pouch cover, style is not there...not that anyone really sees the pouch unless it is revealed.  The downside of a pouch cover is more bulk...some people like using them as they add some style and comfort but I feel it too much material.  keeping things streamline is important to me.  Thank you again for sharing your design with us.  Maybe one of the medical companies will incorporate your idea into their product or start a new product line featuring your creative designs.  I would purchase a pouch with those polka dots as long as it is affordable to covered by insurance.  Thank you again.  LH.

Reply by macsac1, on Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:12 pm

I have had a colostomy for three years now. The most important things to me are:

1. It has to stay stuck on until I'm ready to take it off. I don't want any accidents while sleeping or away from home.

2. No smell - even if it takes a couple of days to fill up. Sometimes the bags don't need to be changed as often and as expensive as they are I want to get maximum use.

3. No plastic or rubbery bags because they make the skin sweat and break out especially in wam weather.

I would be happy to test some bags for you if you have any samples.

So far the worst ostomy bags I have tried are the Sensura Mio from Coloplast. They have a sweaty plastic feel to them, weak adhesive and they start to smell from the get go.

Reply by moonshine, on Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:48 pm

awsum!!!!!!! I choose to 'bling' out my bag....but would try one of yours. if you can see my profile pic you can see 'blue bling'

Reply by LilyJ, on Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:02 pm

Went to the website to which you ref ferred and could not figure out which category you  would be listed  under.  Cannot tell a lot from your pix and would want more info. I've had an ileostomy for 42 years and been through many new innovations. I find the shape you're created interesting and would like to know why you chose it.  I have a LOT of questions!

In any case, thanks for your interest in this.  We can always use new ideas.

Joyce

Reply by Immarsh, on Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:58 pm

Hi Kai,

It's nice to know that there's research going on to update ostomy products.....but after checking out your project.....not so sure it's better than what's out there ( except for the patterns) 

I have my ostomy for over 50 years, and in the early years did some product testing for "new" & im-proved ostomy supplies for (United Surgical)

Zywie's post, pretty much said it all...   Also, be aware, that many people have their ostomy placed, below the waiste & belly button....as mine was.  Don't know what they're doing now. 

Rubber is old news.....vintage 1960's.....   it smells & holds odors...

Do not need a ( rubber ) spout...   Output is often not watery....and pouch spouch needs to be wiped out ( with tissue and use of fingers).  

Best I've used over the last 10 years....Moldable Convatec  wafers  & pouches./.2 piece system.....    I get more than a weeks wear....no rash, no itching...no leaking do not need a belt.   For extra security I use scanpoor tape, around the wafer's tape.....   Scanpoor, is like a second skin....can shower and it doesn't fall off......

Best for you to try wearing a pouch, and filling it up , to get the feel ...   If I can be of any help, please write.  

Reply by PatinPickering, on Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:46 am

Hello Kai.  As previously stated, you've gotten most of the input from the others.  I've had my colostomy for 20+ years and over that time have used either Convatec or Hollister (currently using Hollister's 2-piece drainable).  Comments:

> output from colostomies runs the gamut from wet to dry normal stool (so the neck of the pouch MUST be cleanable);

> the pouch's material (which rests against your thigh) must NOT create a sweaty environment;

> your pix didn't explicitly illustrate how the pouch connects to the flange so I can't comment but my experience with the clicking (tuperware-like connectors) has been reasonably effective but not perfect;

> my experience with gas-relief gadgets has been abysmal ... they soak-up the moisture in the pouch and release the odour which their supposed to be filtering-out!!  Not to mention the fact that this moisture stains your clothes ...

Combined with the comments from the others, I think this is a fair representation.

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:19 pm
Kai
As an Ostomate, a new pouch design is awesome and appreciated! Glad someone is out there trying to make life better for us. Something to illuminate the pouch would be so much more beneficial! My thought are something like an on/ off valve that Replaces the natural process. . Just turn the valve to empty once or twice a day an forget about it! No pouch, no time consuming irrigation, no restrictions on activities, work, socializing, etc. Know of any innovative research in this area?
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.