Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,226 members

Bowel movement after colostomy

Posted by hawk, on Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:04 pm

I had a colonostmy done in last Sept. but in the last week I have been having bowel movements though the rectum. Being new to this I am wondering if this sometimes happens. Thanks, Hawk

Reply by mild_mannered_super_hero, on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:50 pm

i dont belive that is normal. a little mucus like discharge is normal if the rectum wasnt removed, but no stool should be present. i would seek professional advice on this one.

Reply by Diceman, on Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:55 pm

After my surgery Colostomy. The doctor told me at times there would be some discharged and at time it would be light brown for a while then it would be some what clear. This stuff is what did make your poop come out easy your rectum normaly it is the boby's Lub for your poop the old way. Your body still makes it and it comes out at times. I get this say maybe every other week for a day or two. I checked with the doctor and they say it is ok .

Reply by eddie, on Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:59 am

If you had surgery and could not be prepped ( laxatives to clean out bowel) before surgery you can past stool.  I had a patient that passed barium several years after his colostomy.

eddie

Reply by hawk, on Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:48 pm

Thanks for the input, today I went to the emergency room where I had the surgery and by luck the surgeon that performed the colostomy advised that the procedure was labeled wrong, and I had recieved a colostomy loop which bowel movements were o.k. This made me a candidate for a reversal in the future. But only time will tell. Hawk

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:50 pm

I've recently been having the same thing happen to me. I have a loop colostomy. I thought there was something wrong so contacted stoma nurse but I fact it's perfectly fine, it does sometimes happen and as long as there's no blood or pain it's nothing to worry about. 

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.