Rectal area surgery drainage

In this discussion
Replies
Views
becky55

I have had drainage from here since my surgery, a year and 5 months ago. Is this normal? Will this ever stop "!"?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero

I believe that some drainage is normal if the rectum wasn't removed during your surgery. If the rectum was removed, then you might want to consult your doctor or the surgeon who performed your operation. Mine was removed, so I can't offer any firsthand advice, but I have seen others mention the drainage on this forum. You might do a search and find some better results.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Penguins7

Hi Becky, I had drainage for 2 years after my surgery from the abscess opening that needed to close up. I agree with Mild Mannered if your rectum was removed, then consult with your doctor. What type of drainage are you seeing? It could indicate some sort of infection. Good luck. Penguins7

Pinky

Becky - if you have part of your rectum left and anus intact, like I did for the first 5 years of my colostomy, then yes, drainage is normal, if not comfortable! Even if it is slightly blood-tinged, that is OK. It is not normal for it to have a foul odor or look really gunky - in that case you may need anal antibiotics or (God forbid) possibly even have a fistula (abnormal opening between rectum and vagina or rectum and bladder) like I developed and eventually had to have the fistula repaired and the anus/rectum removed. Let's hope you have the first condition! Annoying, I know but much better than the second condition. Let your surgeon know. Pinky

Juuust_James

Oh, I feel for you Becky - had the very same problem for close to 8 years! I was originally just supposed to be re-connected with a J-pouch but post-op problems prevented that from happening, so I had to go with a permanent ileo. When the surgeon gave me the permanent stoma, he left the internal pouch still hooked up to my rectum - and so, with it not having any waste ever passing through it, the small bowel section it was created from constantly secreted mucus. The doctor said the body naturally does it to cleanse itself; we just don't normally see it when we're passing bowel movements. Finally, about 8 years ago, I got him to remove the rectum and the empty pouch because I was beyond tired of flushing it out and draining nightly before bed, yet I would still wake to a wet bottom from the mucus. When you see a discoloration in the mucus, that's a sign of infection. It's very common with people with pull-thru J-pouches. It happened to me about once a year, and the doctor would put me on a course of antibiotics for a week, and it would clear things back up.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister