Tips for Ostomy Gas Build-Up: Products and Experiences?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses various products and personal experiences related to managing gas build-up in ostomy patients, offering helpful tips and solutions.
Charleston man

Hello folks,

I have an interesting question here: How many ostomates have had bad gas build-up and how have you taken care of it? What would be a good anti-gas product to use? Also, has anyone had too much gas build-up that your appliance actually blew up or opened? I woke up this morning and, good lord, my bag was tight as a snare drum. I'm so glad that the strength of the bags is holding.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lulu1313

I open the bottom of the bag and let air escape while holding it up. You can't do this in public, but you can do it in the morning or before you go to sleep.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Zywie

What Lulu said, but make sure you are holding the top up and not down or you'll get a bit of a mess. Plus, I notice the bags with the filters at the top don't blow up as badly if at all. The Coloplast bags with filters stink, the Convatec do not, and neither do the Hollister bags with the filter vent. My stoma nurse called it burping the bag. I have never had a bag blow up, but I have had it so full of gas it pulled the back part off my belly before I could make it to the bathroom to relieve it.

Past Member

I attach my bag to the wafer almost sideways, as I generally keep it in a belt. When I want to gas off, I just carefully lift the edge of the bag at the top of the wafer. I've had my wafer and adhesive fail a few times from so much pressure build-up, but not for months (I've had my ileostomy for 6 months).

I generally eat most things, but broccoli, cauliflower, and beans in moderation. If I have them, I'll pop a Beano ahead of time, or a Gas-X after. If not, I try to eat this stuff well before I go to bed (e.g. 8 hours).

ChrisP

I've had bags blow up, especially at night. I'm sure we all have things not to eat late - apricots are top of my list! Chris

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
LadyHope

Hi everyone,

I use Coloplast wafers and pouches with filters. So far, things are working out for me but I must share my routine with all of you. These filters become clogged very quickly...usually within 1 - 2 days. I change my pouch every day or every other day so the filter continues to work. As the day goes on, the filter clogs and eventually by bedtime or early the next morning, the filter stops working altogether. I contacted Coloplast and asked them what I should do because I thought that I was doing something incorrectly. They suggested bending the top of the pouch down to stop the waste from reaching that area where the filter is located. I do what they say but still experience clogged filters. I don't understand how we can send people to space but can't stop an ostomy pouch filter from clogging in such a short amount of time. Every time I change my pouch I think....more money out the window. Taking this one step further, if you happen to wet a clogged soiled filter, it releases an odor. I experienced this situation when I was getting ready to go out over the summer and could smell something. Yes, it was the pouch filter, wet and stinky. I don't know about the other brands and their filters. I have heard from friends that some filters literally leak. Not good. Have a nice weekend. LH

Charleston man

Thanks, folks, for your response on the gas issue. I do make sure that I empty the bag before going to bed and make sure all air is out too. And I also have burped my bag a few times holding up the tail of it. I have done this in my vehicle as to have some privacy or do it in the loo at work. Being in construction, I can also use the porta potty to burp. But the gas seems only to happen at night. Yes, I do eat foods that do give me, to some degree, gas but like most of us, I'm a glutton for punishment. After nearly 6 years of not being able to eat foods that I enjoyed, I can't think of not wanting to again. I've also tried Beano that didn't work, the Gas-X does at times if I chew about four of the tabs. My MD told me to try a probiotic. I'll just have to be a bit more aware of what foods that do give the problem and do as Jeremee has said, eat them in moderation. I've noticed that onions, cabbage, and some prepackaged gravies do me in with the gas. Having my ileostomy going on 6 years, you would think I'd know better. I'll just have to be more aware of my PFD and burp it. And for those who want to know what a PFD is, it's my personal flotation device, for all the air from the gas makes a balloon.

chess124

Better to use a bag without a filter then all these problems will go away. Just be wary of gas-building foods already mentioned and use Absorbagel in a pouch to minimize gas. Hope this helps.

Past Member

Say NO to all filters. I believe the ventilation system installed in bags still has a long way of improvements. You never know when the filter would clog. It can last for 2 days and sometimes a few hours. I prefer to use the ventless bags. And if yours is vent-installed, you can block it. You can use any sort of tape and completely cover the vent. I use the new Sensura Mio and they still haven't released the one-piece vent-less ones, but each box of bags comes with a board of tape pieces that typically fits the vents. Awesome bag but vents, nah.

Now another tip that can reduce gas by 60-70 percent on whatever you eat is charcoal. They really work. If you managed to get the highly absorbent in capsule form, you have to taper the capsule as it may not dissolve at all. So, stick with tablets or if you don't mind breaking the capsule then that's fine. The highly absorbent ones only come in capsule forms and yes, they have higher absorbent efficiency.

Don't expect that you will find less gas in the same day you use them. You can only notice the difference after 5 days of continuous use. What I mean with continuous is after every single meal you have. Once there is charcoal in your digestive system on a consistent basis, the gas will reduce significantly. From what I read, charcoal does not interact with the body at all and has 0 absorbance in your system. All it does is suck out gas that builds up and pass out in the bag.

Having said that, the capsule cap does get absorbed in your system and your body clears it up by the liver. As it is something that you will be using on a day-to-day basis, as well as taking the maximum dose (that's what I recommend for the highest efficiency), I would recommend using the capsule (high absorbent formula) only when you know you messed up your diet. Like beer, garlic, onion, beans...etc. Otherwise, stick to the tablets.

You will still have 20-30 gas that wouldn't get absorbed by charcoal and the only thing you can do for this is either to ignore or to burp the bag as some ostomates said above.

Another advantage of charcoal is that you won't see this fascinating rainbow colors in the output anymore...lol the output will be just black (don't get scared when that happens, it ain't bleeding).

Try and you'll see.

Charleston man

Thanks Darious, I'll try the charcoal and see if that gives me some relief from the gas problem. Right now, I've been chewing Gas-X and it seems to be doing the trick. My wife loves to cook with onions and that doesn't help much, but I love the flavor and really don't want to change her diet. We tried that right after I got out of the hospital and, well... it sucked. I was not able to eat anything like that before all my complications and now that I can, I just don't want to stop eating the good stuff. Yes, we do try to keep it in moderation, but then the food becomes a little bland. I had enough of that when I couldn't eat. I'll keep in mind what was said. As I said earlier, I'm just a glutton for punishment. I don't drink beer anymore, so I'll have no problem with that effect. I have cut out soft drinks as well, maybe one every 3 months or more. It has been mostly water and/or Gatorade. I don't have a cup of coffee in the morning with breakfast and that's it. Fruit drinks really make things very liquidy, not to mention very colorful, to say the least. The fruit punch Gatorade made my output look like I was bleeding something fierce. I don't drink that anymore. Just the Cool Blue now.

LadyHope

Hi Charleston Guy,

I had the same problem with a high-calorie fruit punch drink. I was trying to take in lots of calories immediately following my surgery. I drank Ensure and Boost in between meals. I was really tiring of the milky drinks and decided to try this high-calorie fuchsia/red fruit drink. It reminded me of Hawaiian Punch. OMG!!! I almost fainted when I went to the bathroom. I thought I was bleeding to death until I realized it was the food coloring in the beverage. Never again! Red wine, red velvet cake, and red M&Ms also change things a bit too. I have to remind myself when things look different to recall what I ate earlier in the day. Life with an ostomy is truly an educational experience. Have a nice weekend. LH

Charleston man

Yes, LadyHope, you are sooooooooo right. The educational part is always a surprise. When I was at home and had the home care nurses come in to change the wound vac dressings, I had just drunk a fruit punch Gatorade to try to get my electrolytes up. After seeing what it did, I'm being a joker. I waited until they came and drank one. When they came in and saw how red my output was, they almost freaked out, thinking I was bleeding internally. They were ready to call the ambulance and the doctor. My wife and I had to calm them down, letting them know it was the drink. :) From then on, they were fine. And carrots are also a surprise. I'm going to have collard greens for dinner tomorrow, and they will make me a deep green. Peas are also fun. Well, you get the idea. And yes, those protein drinks got old real fast. Ate lots of chicken for some protein.

LadyHope

Hi CG, I never thought about the greens making things more colorful. I will keep the carrots in mind also. Like you, I like to eat more flavorful foods. Having the flare two years ago, all food was bland and flavorless. I read your previous post and I'm glad that you are feeling much better. What a journey. It took me a while to get back on my feet. Although most people think this is great, I still struggle with weight and apparently the docs believe some autoimmune response is still playing havoc with my system. I am praying each day that it settles down. I am going on two years since surgery. Everyone tells me ... get to two years - things will be better. I have two more months to go. Thanks so much for the post. Have a nice day. LH

Charleston man

Good morning LH, I myself have to get a grip with the weight issue. I need to lose a few pounds also, and it's hard when you can eat just about anything and everything that you couldn't before. And yes, it is all in moderation, but when it tastes so good, it's hard to do. The mindset of not being able to enjoy back then the now is hard to eat in moderation. It did take time for autoimmune to finally catch back up, but it did. Being 5 years under my belt (pun intended), I'm still a little weary of being around folks who have the simplest viruses. I've also found that if I start back to my walking, I could lose the extra, but I just don't have the inclination to do it. I have the get up and go in my head, it's that my body doesn't want to listen to the brain:). And if you do happen to enjoy corn on the cob and or corn from the can, make sure you chew it real well and see what happens.) Don't let the weight issue dampen your spirits. Keep those positive thoughts and things will get better. It took time to get where we are now, it'll take time to be where we want to be. Patience is a virtue, the body has been through quite an ordeal and needs to catch up. When all this really started with me, I was overweight and having high blood pressure. I was at near 300 lbs before and after the UChit me with everything else, I went down to around 125 in the hospital. I looked like a skeleton. But as time went by, I started gaining again, which then it was good knowing my body finally was able to recoup. Now just have to keep the mindset of keeping it down. I do try not to eat those second and third helpings, but it just tastes so good. My wife and I discussing getting back on the treadmill. Yes, discussing, guess we are waiting to see who is going to go first. She says she has forgotten how to use it, told her the lowest setting then work yourself up to it. Me, I just need to get off my half rump and just do it. No, I don't have the Ken butt. I still have stump. That was left in case my skin didn't handle the flanges, they did ask me if I wanted to J-Pouch but I declined. I would rather see what is happening than having to feel and fear what I could not see. And may also have a wonderful Sunday. Remember, think positive. It does the body wonders.

Xerxes

I have found that these filters also leak after a short time. I have ruined a lot of clothing as a result of this. I avoid them totally now. The best thing to do is as suggested, "burp" the bag by simply holding it up and remove the clip.

iMacG5

Unless I missed it, nobody mentioned carefully separating the pouch from the wafer just enough to allow the gas to escape.  I guess this can only be done with the 2-piece "TupperWare" type appliance but, for me, it's way better than relying on the filters.  Also, once the tail piece is opened, I just feel like it needs to be cleaned.

Boy, who woulda thought we'd be articulating the gas removal methods of our modified bodies?

Mike 

Charleston man

iMac G5,

I don't use the two-piece. To me, Tupperware belongs in the kitchen, not on me. But to each their own. I have nothing against them; it's just not for me. And yes, I do burp my appliance, but mostly try to use the loo and empty as well. Some folks pass gas from behind; we are just very special folks and can do it from the front. I was just looking at ways of possibly decreasing the gas buildup. I'm trying all methods of anti-gas. Hoping someone will have used a product that helps. Darious mentioned charcoal tablets. I will look into those. Right now, I'm chewing Gas-X.

Van guy

I use a two-piece and almost always empty the bag rather than burp it. My main gas control method is: don't eat wheat. At all. Ever. A few other favorite foods give me a smaller amount of gas (avocado, potato) and I limit them, especially before bedtime - to avoid the exploding bag experience - yes, it has happened. Filters don't work for me because my output is too wet and they plug up right away.

ChrisP

Well, disaster struck last night! Working late on a writing project in a cold room, I staved off the munchies with a couple of slices of my OH's delicious Christmas Cake! I managed to avert the first explosion at 3am, but at 7am the flange on my two-part kit ruptured. Fortunately only gas, but even the dogs complained!

(Sorry if that's TMI even for this site!)

dazer

Hi Chris, not sure if I should laugh or sympathize! However, I can empathize. (Malt loaf, I'll say no more!)

Please could you explain about the link with Asperger's and bowel, which I think is what you refer to in another posting. I can't message directly, still considering becoming a full member, sent from a freezing UK! Thanks and well wishes

ChrisP

Hi Dazer: Malt Loaf, mmmmm!

I've sent you a PM about the Aspergers query - I hope it answers your question.

Say hello to chilly Kent from me - I am a Man of Kent (I think, or is it Kentish Man, can't remember which way round for my birthplace) myself!

Chris