Interested in meeting or talking to: Female

I am a 65-year-old Female
Interested in meeting or talking to: Anyone
Meet and talk to 20,105 OstoMates

Stoma Size

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:23 am

How is the size of a stoma determined?

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:16 pm

Genetics! The size of your colon is what it is, no one else determines it!

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:38 am

I also think its down to the surgeon.  Like everything in life it seems stomas come in many sizes and some are also slightly different shapes,  due to scar tissue,  or if its ileostomy,  colostomy  etc 

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:31 pm

Well my stoma was nice, flat and small. 

All of a sudden after 4 days I changed my bag and wow, my stoma was about an inch plus out and larger in circumference, almost was not able to fit my Convatec flange and bag. Scary. Wonder what made it protrude? I had my permanent colostomy done Feb 19 of this year 2015.

I had a temporary ostomy for 8 years on my right side (happened in Italy) 

When we came back to the USA no one wanted to touch me as I have 3 ventral hernia repair and one at the sygmoid. But this surgeon who is super great said he could do the reversal but my colon refused, ha. Do instead I hit a permanent one on the left and also had another hernia repaired where the temp ostomy was..ok so back to the extra protruding stoma, is it normal to happen if did I do something to make it happen? I have been wearing a tight truss, but made a hole for the bag.

Thanks

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:32 am

Hi Travel,  Talking about stoma sizes, my stoma length is appx 1 1/4 " long, sometimes it shrinks to an 1" or slightly less - depends.  When I was on prednisone, it was skinny for me at 25 mm for the wafer and bit shorter.  As for the width, I cut to fit my flange size - it is 27/28mm around.  I was told by the wound care nurse that the stoma should stick out some in order to prevent leaks and appliance malfunctions.  Are you happy with the length or did you prefer your flat and smaller stoma?  Just a suggestion, I may call the doctor for a medical opionion due to the quick change.  Everything could be fine but just in case ...as a second opionion.  Take care. LH

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:27 pm

Thank  you Ladyhope... well I have had an ostomy on the right side for 8 years it was to be temporary... and it was ok not that far out and worked well. no one wanted to make it permanent because I have 3 ventral hernia repaired and one at the sygmoid.

Then this surgeon said he could do the reversal..and the chances of infection 2 to 3 % well I was in  that %anyway he did all kids of stuff to make it ready for reversal when Feb 19 arrived my colon did not want the reversal it was blocked, so now I have a permanent colostomy on th eleft.. which is fine..it is higher that the other one.. do I like to very pertruding mpart... only if itis ok to be as such..but you are right , Monday I will call the doctor.. though he is in Florida and I am right now visiting in MA....

but leaving on a cruise..so I guess I better find out fast.

It was flat until a few days ago... barely fit in the flange..I use convatec... I tried the others but it kept leaking so I figured I would go bnack to what I used for 8 years..no more leaks ouff.How long have you had yours?

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.