Travel Insurance Tips: Bag Air Pressure & Best Providers

In this discussion
Replies
Views
tricia63

Hi,

It has been quite a while since I was here.

I am going on holiday in April. I have heard some horror stories about flying. Is it true that your bag fills with air almost as soon as the flight takes off? Where is the best place for travel insurance.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,104 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Penguins7

Hello Tricia, no that is not true about the bag filling up with air. I have flown many times and have not had that experience. I don't eat a lot before flying and stay away from gassy foods as that will fill your bag up. Empty the pouch before you board and I empty it on the plane all the time with no problems. Remember, do not check any of your ostomy supplies in case they lose your suitcase. I bought an ostomy briefcase (Greenlite Gear) to carry my supplies when I travel and love it. Good luck and have fun on your trip. Penguins7

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
tricia63

Hiya, thank you so much. I was getting myself worked up. I even thought of canceling my trip as I am traveling on my own. I didn't like the thought of having to try to release the air whilst the seatbelt sign was still on. Ha ha.

Who do you use for your travel insurance?

Thanks again,

Tricia

Penguins7

I don't purchase travel insurance when I travel. Are you talking about medical insurance?

tricia63

I am traveling from London to USA, so I will need insurance which covers me for my stoma just in case something goes wrong.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
dazer

Hi

I found it easier to have a piece of buttered toast before flying, even if not hungry, as it seems to help give the bowel something to do. Also, I go to the toilet and empty before eating on the plane, and usually just before landing. In case those customs take a while! And so far, every trip has been fine. The longest plane journey I have done so far is 5 hours, but a family member flew to NZ and back following the same principles. Happy flying!

Past Member

Hi Tricia - I'm from the UK and going on holiday in April too! I'm just going to look on MoneySupermarket to see about insurance - it's the easiest place to get a quote without having to commit. If I find anything especially important I'll let you know!

Update! I just got some for £15 (single trip). MoneySupermarket gave me the option of declaring my ileostomy, turns out it didn't even add anything to the insurance, so that's good to know. It's worth having just for a bit of peace of mind, especially as the idea of medical bills is so alien to an NHS-er!

cruznby

Hello, I've traveled all over the world with mine and never had a problem! Good luck!

Ival

If you have any issues while in the US, visit the United Ostomy Associations of America website