Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,331 members

Continent ileostomy. Kock procedure

Posted by Sam70, on Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:53 pm
Would like to chat with anyone who has had a continent ileostomy.< >
Reply by liznyc, on Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:07 pm
Hi,mine was done in the80's. when was yours done?
Reply by Sam70, on Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:18 am
Mine was done in the 70's at the Mayo Clinic. First one to have the revision from a bag to a continent ileostomy in Massachusetts. Where do you get your catheters?
Reply by liznyc, on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:37 pm
my history is long/ and unusual. supplies from edgepark- no issues. are you having trouble receiving catheters?
Reply by Sam70, on Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:54 am
No, I get mine from Weber and Judd in Rochester, MN.They are the same ones I left with in the 70's. Didn't want to try anything new. They are expensive..$50.00 each. I order 2 a year. I now live in Sc (last 7 years. No one here is able to operate on the pouch, so if there ever is a problem, I will have to go back to Mayo Clinic. They can fix blockages but not the pouch. Can't imagine anything happening to the pouch after 40 years. I did have the valve revised 26 years ago, since it leaked.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:23 pm
Had mine in 1994 ,at Lutheran Medical Center in St Louis, Mo. Had ileostomy pouch for 9 years.
Reply by mooza, on Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:00 pm

WOW i couldnt think of a catheter i do chat with a a man whos been getting his 5 per year and he gets them free from us at our Ostomy rooms good .uck everyone Smile

Reply by Sam70, on Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:54 pm

Sometimes concerned when catheter won'the go in.  Also what happens when I get really old.  I'm 76 now. had it for over 40 years. 

Reply by liznyc, on Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:55 pm

I heard to use lube and to keep the catheter in for long time to anchor it if trouble with tube.  It happens to me too and I need to try
different positions."  

Not sure what happens when we are old, especially if dementia sets in.  Who will know how to empty our pouches?  This surgery has phased out.  

Reply by jrrclocks, on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:18 am

When I had my Kock pouch I got my catheters from here: https://www.vitalitymedical.com/medena-catheter-30-french-dc.html

Note that the price is $8.52 ea. I have seen prices in the $50 range elsewhere, which is clearly a rip-off. These always worked fine for me, but for being a little shorter than I would like. They are 3/8" diameter and a bit less than 12" long (9.85mm x 30 cm). I am not sure what the material is, except that it is NOT silicone.

They are also available direct from Torbot here: https://torbot.com/product/torbot-medena-continent-catheter-straight-30fr/ where the price is $9.50 ea.

Regarding lubricants, I used the usual water-based lubes like Surgilube and K-Y Jelly, but then switched to coconut oil. It always seemed "slicker" than the synthetic lubes.

Reply by jrrclocks, on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:27 am

My ileostomy was done in 1995, then converted to a BCIR at Lutheran Medical Center in St. Louis (no longer in business). It perforated in 2009, leading to peritonitis and emergency surgery. The surgeon attempted to save it, but after the surgery it was essentially an end ileostomy in a very bad location. After six months to recover, I went to Cleveland Clinic for a Kock pouch. It was difficult to intubate from the very start, and after a year of struggles, I went back to Cleveland Clinic and had it repaired. That pouch failed abscessed in June of 2018 and had to be removed. I had that surgery at the University of Chicago Medical Center, and since they will not do Kock pouches (but regularly do IPAA (J-pouch) I was back to an end ileostomy yet again.

jim
Reply by jim, on Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:02 am
Hello! I am mad at you. I have an answer to most any question.... as you can see I am very humble. Answers are easy, correct answers are a different story. Boy I don't have an answer to you question about what happens when we get old. I have been thinking about it for a year...still don't know. You destroyed my ego.
Reply by Robb, on Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:04 pm
I've only had my illeostomy for few months
Reply by liznyc, on Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:00 am

Hope it's working well.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.