Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,240 members

Up GPs

Posted by blueonthetyne, on Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:23 pm
do any uk ostomates have problems with their GP on returning their perscripton to their osto supplier< >
Reply by ChrisP, on Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:02 pm
What sort of problems are you thinking of?
Reply by Bill, on Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:09 am
Hello Blueonthetyne. I had not had any problems until the last time I ordered. It took about three weeks for prescription to be sent to the supplier (normally it would be sent within a few days). I was not sure whether the fault lay with the GP surgery or the supplier, so next time I intend to get the prescription myself and send it off rather than let the surgery send it directly to the supplier.Best wishesBill
Reply by blueonthetyne, on Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:01 am
its becoming a pain for me here, for the third month running I have to speak to my doctors to chase it up
Reply by ChrisP, on Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:55 am
I didn't have such problems with GPs when I lived in the UK: I've been gone 4 years now, and things sound as if they've got more pressured. Different system here in France, thankfully!
Reply by ChrisP, on Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:55 am
...by which I mean that I only need to get a prescription once every six months!
vpl
Reply by vpl, on Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:23 pm

Funny you should bring this subject up now. In the past I also never had any problems regarding a prompt return of my prescription to my suppliers from my GP.

The last two months running (I can only order supplies for a month at a time) I have received a letter from my suppliers saying that the prescription has not been returned to them and could I phone the surgery to see why.

Both times when I have phoned they have said that it was signed and sent out only yesterday.

.................I smell a rat!

Reply by Bill, on Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:23 am

Hello everybody!  Just an update--This time I picked up my prescription from the GP's and sent it first class to my supplier and  recieved the goods back within 3 days.  I figure now that the problem lies with the surgery. 

Best wishes 

Bill

Reply by Cornet, on Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:10 am

I have also had some strange happenings, like having the quantity of my baseplate order reduced to less than a half.  Managed to get a meeting with my surgery prescription manager with an apology, but I get the impression that there have been some policy changes recently.

vpl
Reply by vpl, on Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:58 am

Yes - there has been a change recently in the UK. At one time when I ordered direct I received my supplies a few days later. Now the supplier has told me that they have to receive the OK from my GP before they can send out. 

It still doesn't explain why the GP sits on the request for so long now before sending the prescription back.

I will now try ordering more frequently and stock up so that I don't run short of anything.

I still think that there is something going on that we have not been told about.

Reply by ChrisP, on Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:23 am

It is certainly does sound like \'something has changed\', doesn\'t it? I suppose one can get used t thinking ahead when making orders, but it is very disconcerting when supplies start to run low and there is no sign of the parcel.

As I said previously, here in France we have to go and collect from our regular pharmacy, but the system means that every time a prescriptions-worth is collected a new one is ordered and kept ready for you. That happens with all regular medical needs.

Reply by panther, on Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:38 pm

I did have problems when it first changed about 4 years ago to when they had to get script before they could send anything but had no problems last few years, and since they changed to EPS or whatever it's called lol, I have a text message from Salts usually within 2/3 days to say when it will be delivered. I always order well in advance I usually have about 2 months supply when I order my next script 

Reply by keithy58, on Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:56 pm

I have a colostomy as well as a wee bag so I order alot each month. I have notice my prescription are getting released later and later. I will be seeing my gp on Monday she can sort out the pratice manager.

WAB
Reply by WAB, on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:51 am

So sorry to hear all you Brits are having problesm with getting supplies  maybe time to get the powers that be involved.....The IOA has a charter of rights for Ostomates........and you do have a representative in Britain

http://www.ostomyinternational.org/European.htm

Maybe you should all contact her.......to have her find out what is going on...........

Every country seems to have a different approach........I am lucky here as is a one time prescription..........and we can order directly from any supplier..............

Good luck people.......

Reply by mikerbiker69, on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:16 am

Yes - I have been having problems for the last 12 months or so.

My supplier is Charter Healthcare & they now say because of new NHS guidelines they must get a perscription from my GP before they can send out any supplies. They used to apply retrospectivly for the perscription.

I now have to give at least 2 weeks notice before I think I will need new supplies - sometimes I have needed to ring Charter so that they can send me some "Emergency" pouches due to either the sugery or Charter having forgotten to return or request the perscrition.

When I talk to the surgery - they blame Charter for not asking for the perscription in good time & Charter always say that the surgery is sitting on the perscrition.

I can only obtain 1 months supply at a time - despite asking my surgery many times - so I have found it impossible to build up a buffer stock.

Also from time to time my wife receives a call from the local NHS trust asking her to confirm that I am actually using all the supplies that are being perscribed to me. I think this is more than a bit underhanded as they have never asked me directly.

All in all this new procedure just serves to add a lot more stress to what is already an irksome problem that none of us have asked for.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.