Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,338 members

Up GPs

Past Member
Posted by Past Member, on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:21 am

My supplier, near London, phones me once a month for my order, which they then send to my local GP who gives them the ok to distribute it, no questions asked, and it arrives a fortnight later, delivered to the door. I always make sure I have at least a month's spares incase of any holdups, but never been a problem in 9 years, am I just lucky?

Reply by Cecille, on Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:40 pm

The system of ordering new supplies was fine until about the middle of 2014.  Before then, I used to just either email or telephone the firm which supplies my needs, Charter, tell them what I wanted, and everything would come in a cardboard box within a day or two.  Charter are extremely efficient.  However, that system has now been stopped  because when I now ring Charter they have to refer my requirments to my GP first for his approval.  In October I was informed by my GP Receptionist that I had asked for too many bags, too many security strips, and too many bottles of in-bag deodorant!  I went ballistic and threatened to contact a solicitor and my MP!  Apparently, this is all to do with cutbacks!!!!  I made such a fuss that I eventually got everything I asked for, and I am just about to order a new batch.  I hope the same problem does not crop up because the last episode caused me a HUGE amount of distress and outrage.

Reply by blueonthetyne, on Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:29 pm

ahh yes seems to be the reply, i took the bull by the horns last month and when i was told by the surgery that i did not need two removal sprays.

i sort of lost it and went up there with a carrier full of changing stuff and offered to give a demonstration in the waiting room, hopefully my actions spoke louder than words and this month normal service will be resumed.

thanks for all your usefull imput

my stoma is a year old tomorrow

Reply by Cecille, on Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:32 pm

Hello. Blue on the Tyne.

What an outrage.  It seems you dealt with this problem in a superb way.

It's amazing you can make do with only 2 sprays in my  opinion.  I use loads of them!

blueonthetyne wrote:

ahh yes seems to be the reply, i took the bull by the horns last month and when i was told by the surgery that i did not need two removal sprays.

i sort of lost it and went up there with a carrier full of changing stuff and offered to give a demonstration in the waiting room, hopefully my actions spoke louder than words and this month normal service will be resumed.

thanks for all your usefull imput

my stoma is a year old tomorrow

Reply by vulcanBMk2, on Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:45 am

My Supplier Charter halthcare are very good .....However  my Doctors Surgery can be a bit hit & miss with their timings . If I hand in my prescription on a Monday ( I have to make up my own & print my own  repeat prescription request ) they dont post it off untill Friday ....Then my parcel arrives on folllowing Thursday . The old system , where I phoned up my own supply order to Chatrer & they requested  the prescription from my doctots , the whole thing took about 4 days . Now the transaction  can take up to 2 weeks ....not good enough !!!

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.