Chat Rooms

In this discussion
Replies
Views
ChrisP

I'm relatively new to being active here, though I've been reading the site for longer. Hi all!

I see I'm not the first person to have commented that the Chat room is as Quiet as a Disused Graveyard at Midnight on a Winter Night (LOL!), but I'm having trouble understanding how the Chat Room 'works' on this site. Partly this is mechanics (on one occasion I was typing but the other people there couldn't see my words!), partly I don't know the etiquette. What (if anything) am I doing wrong?

From experience on another forum, when I am around and happy to chat I look in on the Chat Room. If there is anybody there (green dot?) I click in and usually offer a cheery greeting. Only rarely do I get any sort of response! Is this because I am using the wrong internet soap? 'Is this coz I's a Vicar'? (people are afraid that I am a stalking religious maniac looking for a victim, so sidle quietly out of the other door)? Or is it because unless you deliberately click yourself out of the Chat Room it looks like one is still here when you are in fact somewhere else...?

I've had some great chats with a few people - thanks guys! - and I've inadvertently missed a couple of people who have said hello to me only to find that I've gone elsewhere but left my ghost behind. My apologies to them! Oh, and if my greeting to person A is on the screen and they disappear but someone else appears, can person B just arriving see the greeting I previously uttered?

And what is the etiquette re 'Private Chats' please? I've assumed these are a room with a 'do not disturb' notice on the door, so not clicked on that. Am I right? How do you have a 'private chat' - assuming anyone ever wants to talk to me of course?

I'm sorry to ask about things which are obvious to everybody else. I'm trying to 'do the right thing', but grew up in a pre-computer era, so don't know the niceties! I want to be a friendly and participatory member of a great (unique?) site: I am in a happy relationship, but otherwise have few friends simply because of where I live. And mutual support from people who 'know what it's like' is priceless. Any thoughts, folks? Thanks for reading this!Chris

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mrs.A

Hi ChrisP,

Welcome to the site. This chat is somewhat new to me as well but I have been coming to this site for a few years but not as often as I did when I was a full member. The only answer I can give is the private chat one. If you are a paid member or otherwise known a full member you can send a email or click on another persons name and start a private, one on one chat with that member. There is no special room just a screen will pop up between you and the other member.

Hope that helps

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Zywie

Hi Mr. Vicar, :) ;I don't think you're doing anything wrong. The general chat has a lot of little bugs and some times it just likes to freeze up. It frustrates me so I don't attempt it too often. But I did happen to hit it on a good day and had a very nice chat with you.

As for the private chat; idk why it even shows up if someone is not trying to talk to you. I just tried to talk to someone who is on in Private and I got a notice I needed to upgrade to full member if I wanted to chat.

Don't give up on us though, keep posting !

ChrisP

Hi both of you, and thank you for responding! I'm starting to learn the little quirks of the site and the Chat Room - it sure can be glitchy at times, can't it? I certainly shan't give up on the place, and I've had some really entertaining chats with a few people since I posted that. But it sounds like some of the mechanics of the site are an equal mystery to everybody!

('Mr. Vicar' - cheek, I was a Rector, not a Vicar! If I really want to frighten someone off, I simply offer to explain the difference. Works a treat!!)