Stoma Gear

Replies
Views
Hot for teacher

I am trying to decide if the Stoma Gear (protector/shield) is a good purchase. The cost is 120 and I want to make sure other people are happy with it before I make the purchase. I would love to hear from others that have purchased the piece. Do you have any suggestions regarding this appliance?I want to be able to wear a belt, hold my 1 year old without causing problems and participate in activities that could cause damage to the stoma.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi there

initially I worried that my stoma was vulnerable to damage, I lead a very rough and tumble life including often wearing a tree surgery climbing harness that crosses my stoma area with hard buckles and straps plus lots of heavy lifting of rough objects that rub up against my abdomen ;I spent money on a couple of stoma guards but no longer use them. Now I just wear a fairly sturdy elasticated stoma belt by Basko. It looks like a typical back support belt but has a hole to allow your bag to sit on the outside of it. However I just wear it right over my bag and find it gives plenty of protection. Also it helps hold everything tightly in place and keeps a nice flat profile so you can wear tight fitting clothes. I find that if anyone notices it they assume it's to support my back...which it also does, and is good for preventing hernias. You might think having a tight belt across your stoma would prevent it working properly but that's not so:)

a stoma looks so fragile, but I've found it not to be so.

hope this helps

regards

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate