Advice for Dealing with RVF Issues?

Replies
Views
journeygirl16
Hi, just wondering how many women here have dealt with RVF issues. I discovered mine in November 2013, only then I didn't realize what it was. It only became a problem in March 2014, after having several DX tests, no Crohn's, IBS, or colon cancer. It was determined that I had an RVF that forked off in two different directions. Now, after five surgeries in six months, I am still dealing with symptoms. I have had an ostomy since September, this after having a Singapore Flap. I am currently seeking a second opinion, but I didn't know if anyone else has dealt with this or had any suggestions or advice.

I know I am lucky, and the ostomy is "supposed" to be temporary, but this has put a halt to my plans for my future and has jammed up my life in a major way. Any response from the ladies here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

;
Zywie

I'm sorry, journeygirl. I don't know what RVF is. When I checked on the net, it said Rift Valley Fever and also showed pictures of motorcycles. I see quite a few viewed your post, but didn't answer, so I think it may be a mystery to the majority. Wish I could help.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Poopyhead

Journeygirl, I am so sorry to hear what you've been going through. I cannot believe you've had 5 surgeries in six months. They made me space mine out at least 3 months in between. I read your post and had to make a profile in order to reply, as I am not active on this site. I wanted to tell you that yes, I've been through this, and will share my experience, although it may not be what you want to hear. I have to admit though, I've never heard of a Singapore flap! Maybe it's something new. Let me know if you want to hear about my "journey".

Cecille

Could you kindly tell me what RVF is? I have not heard this term before.

Poopyhead

Cecille, RVF is Recto-Vaginal Fistula.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

I dealt with a rectovaginal fistula for more than 4 years, while trying to find the right surgeon to correct it. Since I also had diverticulitis, I ended up with a colostomy when my colon finally ruptured. It took me more than 3 years to find the right surgeon for me, as I was told repeatedly that I did not have a fistula...although I was diagnosed at the hospital, and it was noted by 2 surgeons in surgical reports. After finding a wonderful surgeon, I was horrified to learn that I would need to have the colostomy reversed, and an ileostomy performed. This was because the fistula and the reconnect were in the exact same spot. I had that huge surgery in June 2014 and finally had the ileostomy reversed in November. Although I am thankful to be put back together, I am still experiencing both vesical and rectal tenesmus. These are spasms that shoot up both ends and have only been mildly tamed by Percocet. I am seeing an anesthesiologist today to see about blocking 2 nerves in my pelvis to help remove the extreme pressure I have. I'm hopeful that the problem will resolve itself over time when my body realizes/acknowledges that the fistula is gone and the abscesses won't be back, but there are no guarantees. I'll be happy to try and help with any questions or problems you have.