New Girl

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Runaway Gypsy

hi guys. I joined a while ago but this site confuses me a bit. I'm not sure this is the right thread but I figured I'd introduce myself. Is that okay? ;I have a colostomy that's about 6 months old. I did not accept this at all. I Am starting to accept it now but I have my moments.

The reason why I joined here is because I'm looking for people to help me. I don't have any friends here in Minnesota. Lived here for 3 years and it's damn near impossible to break through the groups. Anyway, I need friends. I need someone I can call up crying. Someone who will understand but not baby me. Someone who knows what's happening and why. I have not one person I can do this with. My family lives on the west coast and I don't really talk to them about all this. To have somebody hold me for comfort is a distant dream. I just want friends. I want to be a friend.

So how does this work? Do I put an ad out?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Zywie

Hmm...Runaway Gypsy. Your name made me think for a bit. Seems a bit of a ;tautology. :) However, welcome to the site.

As for what do you do? ;You just did it. I have a feeling, within the week, at least one person will contact you. Plus you have all these forum topics to sift through and read. I know when I first found this site I sat and read so much for hours and hours in a day. It helped. A lot. I kinda been in your shoes so I know what you mean about needing a friend.

It's people like you that make me wish I could afford to be a paying member so I can send you a private message.

I think we need something like AA, all newbies are assigned a sponsor. :) This very thing may have been brought up in another topic somewhere? Yes, I found this confusing for a few months too. But I kept coming back and clicking on things and finally figured most of it out.

Anyway, keep posting and checking the chat room. You will eventually run into someone in there. Maybe even me. And no question is too stupid here.

Hugs

Z

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
ChrisP

Hi and welcome from me as well - I echo all that Zywie has just said: there is lots of wisdom and experience on this site, and good people to support you as well. You have come to the right place!

vulcanBMk2

Hello Welcome from the rainy Island Kingdom . Lots of great helpful people on here from all over the world. And then you have people like me ( Urostomate ) who are more of a nuisance than a help, but I have a sense of humour I'm very good at holding hands .

Just you take care, best wishes ......Pete.

LadyHope

Hi Runaway Gypsy,I am so glad that you found this webpage. You will make many friends here. We were all new to this once and understand how lonely this walk is in the beginning. The first few months after surgery are really head spinning. So much information, what to do, what not to do, how to do it, how not to do it, others do anyway and it still works, but it is not supposed to work, and the confusion goes on:)First question, are there any ostomy support groups in your area?If you are not aware of any, I would recommend going ;to the www.ostomy.org website, there is a list available. When I was new and melting down, I still melt down from time to time, I went to that webpage and called every ;support group ;within a 100 mile radius of my home. I was going to talk to someone even if it took me all day and night to connect. And I did. Talking helps to much. I am sorry but I am not a full member at this time, but others are and may be able to send you direct emails. Also, when you peruse the www.ostomy.org website, take a look at the upcoming national conference. I attended the conference when I was very new to the ostomy world and had an absolute blast. I went to workshops, parties, exhibits and enjoyed every minute of the conference. One is planned for September 2015. Check it out. Maybe you would be interested in attending. Also, keep posting your questions or concerns. Someone here has had the same question or concern and will return the post with suggestions. All of us help one another as no one unerstands an ostomate's challenges like another ostomate. Take care Runaway Gyspy and keep posting. LH

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
klark

Welcomre to the site. Any questions you might have browse the forums or just ask somebody!! When you can... try the general chat, the new format is kinda quirky, not user friendly but give it a try and chat with other ostomates. Also check out the dumb jokes I post!! LOL And again... welcome!!

eddie

Welcome, you will find alot of friends here, you can vent, cry, laugh, what ever you feel at the time just let it go. weare here.

eddie

Ival

I would suggest you contact the nearest ostomy support group. Most are affiliated with the United Ostomy Associations of America (UOAA). You can find the nearest UOAA Affiliated Support Group by going to www.ostomy.org and click on Support Groups. You will find people who understand and have probably had some of the same experiences.

Mrs.A

Welcome Gypsy,

Welcome to MAO. No ad needed, just come and visit often, post your thoughts or you can even write a blog. Someone will relate as we are all in the same boat so to speak. Remember you are not alone. I hope you try some of the suggestions the others have posted because they are great ideas. You could also pop into the chat and maybe someone will be available. I also agree that you will meet some friends here, there are many who have been down this road for sometime now and can understand what you are going through.

KayMN

Hello! I just happened to see your post. I too live in the Twin Cities and ;I also had surgery about 6 months ago, so I can relate to how you are feeling. I have attended a couple of the local support groups and met some very kind and helpfulpeople. I would recommend it.

grabber2

i have a coclstomy since 2011 if can help in avice please get back to me les x

Rosiesmom

Hi Runaway gypsy, I just came across your post today. I hope by now you are feeling stronger and that every day is getting better. Yes a colostomy can be a bugger, as they say where I came from(actually the verbiage might, no would be a bit stronger) but trying to be nice. I have had my colostomy since March of last year, I seem to be one of the lucky ones as i(touch wood) do not seem to be plagued wth some of the issues I have read posted here. That being said it is a major life changer. The key word here being LIFE. We have been given a second chance. I do not know how to pass along my personal info to you but I would love to be a part of your support network. Can someone tell me how to exchange info. This tech, stuff is all new to me, an adjustment just like a pouch. nbsp

So gypsy  keep hanging in there. You are definitely not alone but part of a unique and very strong group of survivors.

yours truly Rosiesmom

Past Member

Hi gypsy,I know this was posted a while back, non the less, it's good to have friends and talk so this is the best place for support and answers.