Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,232 members

Just want to Know

Posted by kolostomilitalat, on Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:49 am
Despite everything live so beautifulplease just smile to lifeI have stone for 13 years.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:38 pm
Lesley- I had my Colin removed in 2000, and I ended up getting an illeostomy since I have Multiple Scelrosis and my nerves were shot. Because I don't have a lot of feeling having things sewn up still hurt, and it took me a few weeks for my stomach to get into its final place.If you had an illeostomy you know the procedure, but it did make my nerves even worse in my rectum. I honestly woke up with the attachment since I thought they were only going to take a small amount of my Colin and sew things up. After a 9 1/2 surgery they found cancerous cells so the doctors decide it was best to remove it all. It took me a while to get used to it, but not having to worry about making it on time, and the ability to know eat what I want is worth it. Like I said the hardest thing is for your body to get used to not haVing a colin. I threw up several times, and even after 15 years I still have problems every now and again. I may not be too much help, but I am honestly happy now that things are changed. My grand father died of colin cancer, and in less then 6 months I lost 80 pounds so I lost all my muscle tone that because of my age and M.S. I'll never be back to norMal physically.I have learned after having MS since 1986 I find humor in everything that happens to me since if I didn't I would go crazy.
Reply by Helistens, on Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:31 pm
I have had my colostomy since 1981. I was in my 30's when diagnosed with colorectal cancer.. After the surgery,I was lucky enough to meet nurses who believed inirrigation. It took about 4 months of work to convince the remaining colon that I was the boss.Now I get by 25 days of the month wearing just a stoma cap. The other 5 or so I Wear a drainable pouch assuming I will eat ice cream or drink a couple of beers.The only other side effect is the scarring where the sphincter was removed. I can't sit for long periods it feels tight like a wedgie. I put some aloe or cream back there and all is well.I can also be reached as helistens2002 at yahoo if you have questions.
Reply by Suz2, on Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:11 am
Hi Lesley, I'm a bit confused. You have an ileostomy now and are being changed to a colostomy? Did they leave your colon in when they gave you your ileostomy because the ileostomy is where the small intestine is attached to the abdominal wall and the colon comes after the small intestine in the digestive tract. I have a colostomy with the possibility of having an ileostomy in the future if they have to remove more of my colon from Crohn's Disease. The more colon I have removed the looser my stools become since the colon is where most of the water in stool is reabsorbed. If they are going to reconnect your small intestine (ileum) to your colon and give you a colostomy your stools should be a bit closer to normal stool and less watery if you have a normal functioning colon. If you're having your colon removed and going to an ileostomy then your stools should be more liquid from the way it's been explained to me and with my experience of having more colon removed. I just had my colostomy revised last summer and they removed 6 more inches and that has made a difference in the consistency of my output to a less formed stool.I apologize if I'm totally off but this is my understanding of how things work.
Reply by deese, on Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:40 am
Hi Lesley,, I originally had a colostomy, but due to crowns disease around my stoma I had it changed to an ileostomy, the main difference is the output in an ileostomy is more loose, and therefore more firm in an colostomy. Also the ileostomy is generally on the right hand side, the colostomy on the left. As my ileostomy was temporary, I eventually had to have my colon removed, due to it being very damaged and I was told by my surgeon there was a higher risk of me getting colon cancer if I didn't have it removed. This is one benefit of maybe having a colostomy, but check with your surgeon or stoma nurse. Hope this helps.....Stuart
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:58 pm
HI Lesley,I have a colostomy that is a result of cancer. It was installed January 2014. I wear a bag all of the time. I can't sleep on my stomach due to the bag needing room to receive the output. I am very anxious still about intimate relationships with the bag. I wear a shirt for cover. Same while swimming.Always keep your supplies and a change of clothes in case you have an accident. It took me about two months to discover what I could eat and how my New system would work. I hope this helps you.Sam
Reply by latke, on Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:01 am

Your courage is amazing. I am nervous about undergoing an operation for multiple hernias and ostomy relocation due to painful blockages. I am told they may have to give me a higher stoma (above the belt) and I believe I will have another hanging piece of belly which often happens after a stoma is moved from what I know. I have great fatigue and diabetes and no veins to take blood from in my arms. I have pain in my wrists and elbows from previous failed "pokes" from trying to put in an IV. Being 70 and without family support (never married) does not help and I often wish I could just pass in my sleep. This is why I remain in amazement at survivors like yourself who manage to go on constructively in a world that seems to care only cares about its own problems. I recently lost a friend of mine to heart failure who gave it all away and wanted even on his last leg to march in a "Focus Hope" parade which he never missed. He donated his body to a medical school and had almost 400 of many he knew and helped turned up to his memorial. He had a life worth celebrating.

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:33 am

good morning

boy, know how u feel with little no no support/ in a similar situation

hang in there

susan

Reply by kolostomilitalat, on Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:54 pm
korkuluk yazdı:

günaydın

çocuk, u benzer bir durumda / küçük hiçbir hiçbir desteği ile nasıl hissettiğimi biliyorum

orada asmak

susan

yes thanks

Reply by latke, on Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:19 pm

thank you for your heartfelt support Susan. Surgery is scheduled at the end of this month. Since I originally planned it I am having back problems from on going osteoporosis but I feel I have to give this a shot no matter what happens as my body is suffering from lack of sleep due to the twenty four hour pains. Hope I am not jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Wish I could at least post an e-mail. Ron

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:32 pm

ya i know exactly what your going thru

i am having back pains also/ my stoma prolasped its crazy

sometimes this email trick works

sus3140 at aol

if not good luck again

susan

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.