Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,247 members

Advertisements in the way

Posted by Mrs.A, on Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:13 pm

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if it was my computer or everyone is seeing the same thing. On the left there is a space where you can see who is currently online if they haven't hid themselves. Well on my computer I can barely see any of the names and or pictures due to the placement of an advertisement.

It it the same for you?

If it is the same for all of us, or most maybe we can get the admin to adjust something so we can see better.

Thanks for reading and replying smile.

Reply by kmedup, on Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:07 pm

In many cases, in lieu of paid memberships, the adminsitration has to rely on advertisements to cover the costs of keeping this site active - which requires a lot of work. I think we will be seeing more and more ads in the future and rightly so. Almost nothing in life is free anymore; good will has a shelf life.

Reply by Zywie, on Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:34 pm

No Mrs. A.  I don' thave that problem.  Ads have covered things up before though and if you hover over them with your cursor, usually there is an x to shut it down.  Other than that, try loggin out and logging back in?

Reply by Mrs.A, on Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:12 pm

@kmedup,

Wow, I don't want to believe that "good will has a shelf life" that would be very sad. But maybe corporations put a shelf life on good will. I do understand that it takes work in keeping things running as well as a cost, but I don't think advertisements should hinder the site in anyway. What good is an ad if one can't read it anyway.

@Zywie,

I'm glad you don't have the problem and I've searched for the X to close the ad but there isn't one that I can find. Oh well, so be it, it isn't in my way when reading the posts so I can live with it till I can upgrade my computer.

Thanks for the replies~

Reply by three, on Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:29 pm

Mrs.A ~ there's a slight chance that doing the following might help by changing the size of everything displayed on your screen:

Hold down the "Ctrl" key on your keyboard while you rotate the wheel on your mouse — rotating one way will make everything smaller, and the other way everything larger.

Reply by Mrs.A, on Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:53 pm

Thanks Three,

It was a nice try but it didn't help. The ad just shrunk right along with everything else. Seems it would be just me this it happening too Sad. I'll just have to work around it.

Reply by three, on Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:34 pm

Mrs.A ~ Some ads have a small "X" visible in the top right corner, and clicking this "X" makes the ad disappear; however, the ad your talking about doesn't have that "X" so there's only one other possible solution I can think of:

One of the challenges for a website designer is creating a website that's consistent amongst multiple browsers. You could try viewing this site with a different browser and seeing if that makes any difference.  I use Firefox most of the time, but for some sites I use Internet Explorer or Chrome.

Reply by Mrs.A, on Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:00 pm

Ok Three,

Thanks again, but I not going to go to too much trouble over it. I like my Firefox and will just deal with it.

Reply by Mrs.A, on Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:36 pm

Well, just an update to the ads being in the way..... I recently updated my security and viola~ Most all of the advertisements are gone~~~hooray for karpersky Smile.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.