Colonoscopy through stoma experiences?

Replies
Views
Bette

Has anyone had a colonoscopy through their stoma????

Durrrrl34

Yes, I have. Are you having one soon?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,380 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bette

Not until June but I have had the colostomy for 5 years...and they want to make sure cancer-free!! Was it difficult to do the prep?? I am worried about the stoma and bowel damage??

Durrrrl34

No, the prep is the same as before, at least it was for me. As for the stoma goes, I had no problem with mine, I think they used a little smaller tube so it goes in easier without causing any damage and I don't think there's any more risk of bowel damage than with a regular colonoscopy. The only thing is they made a mess of me because I was on my back for it and even though they used those blue pads around the area to prevent a mess, they didn't do a darn thing. I woke up after with my flange all soaked in crap and had to change it!! Oh well, s**t happens, I guess!! Hope yours goes well and you are cancer-free still!

Gwen in LA

I've had two. Last time they threw out the clip for the disposable bag, and had to find a rubber band. Sigh. Next time I'm bringing an extra bag and extra clip.

The prep was easier than pre-colostomy for me. No pain, no cramps.

Hope this helps,

Gwen in L.A.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
ChrisP

I've had them regularly. I hate the preparation, but sitting in the waiting room prior to being called in, I am always surrounded by people who look much more worried than I am! Yes - it can be a bit messy, but it is straightforward and almost entirely free of discomfort. That's just as well, as I am immune to the sedation they offer me!

All the very best with yours.

klark

I've had 2 through the stoma, no problems whatsoever!! The prep was the worst part, believe it or not!! Both times I had a new wafer and pouch on the morning of... if you use a 2-piece, they just unsnap your pouch and replace it when the procedure is finished. I also brought with me a spare wafer and pouch with the appropriate wipes and gave them to the surgical tech before I went in. Just in case!! I would imagine that if you use a 1-piece appliance, it might be difficult to reattach it, so bring a spare. You'll be fine!! Good luck!!

Heidi92

I have never had this procedure done this way, but it seems like it would be less humiliating than the traditional way. Good luck. I hope everything goes OK.

Wilski

The colonoscopy is done both through the stoma and also (if possible) through the rectum. Rectum prep is via enema. Most importantly, bring a new appliance with you just in case.

Cuppatears

Going for my first post-surgery (15 months ago) colonoscopy, a little nervous. Just discovered some new products that seem to work much better for me, now I'm out of the samples and had to retreat to my former product, of which I have plenty. The problem is once a drop of anything touches the wafer, it departs from my belly with the speed of a rocket. At least in the area that springs the leak. The rest is still stuck to me like I used Super Glue. For 20 days, it was tolerable, what a difference, no smell, no pain on removal, no leaks!!! Felt almost normal!!

Won't get the new products until later this week, the procedure is Monday. Looking forward to an uncomfortable and messy day tomorrow. Then the wait for the results. I am inclined to use a one-piece just for Monday, expect it will be easier to remove and replace with my usual two-piece, and hope that rig will hold up until I get my new supplies.

klark

I use a 2-piece system. When I went for my last 2 colonoscopies through the stoma, that morning I placed a fresh wafer and pouch. They just remove the pouch and leave the wafer in place. No removal. No fuss, no muss LOL!! After the procedure, pop on the pouch and you're done, it was that easy!! Bring spares JUST in case though. Good luck, don't worry, you will be fine.

Cuppatears

Thanks, I needed that. I was just about to have a moment... doing everything to avoid starting prep. Guess I can't put it off any longer, down the hatch. Oh yuck!!!