Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,338 members

Irrigating

Posted by Malakies, on Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:32 pm

hi everyone 

I just want to take a moment to say "irrigation rocks!" I've had my ostomy since Sept. 2014  ( rectal cancer ) I am here to give anyone that can and is thinking of irrigating, to DO IT!  I started less than a month ago, and love it! It took me about two weeks after I recieved my irrigation kit, to actually begin the process. I was so scared to do it. I had all these crazy ideas in my head, about sticking the cone in my stoma, poop flying everywhere blah blah blah. basically anything to avoid doing the process. I am happy to say, I have it down to 35 minutes. Although I keep the bag on for an additional half hour just incase. Hey I am still new to this!  I am keeping "him" under control for a definite 24 hours! The first few days, it only lasted approximately 8 hours, until a bit of " stuff" came out. And that was nothing compared to what I was dealing with before irrigating! 

So, since I have my stoma companion for the rest of my life, I am SO glad I can irrigate and literally forget I have it! I am wearing little stoma caps that are super comfortable! My goal is to hopefully be able to go longer than 24 hours, but even if I do the24 hours, I am extatic !!!

if you are contemplating Irrigation and are on the fence or scared , like me,  DO IT! It is liberating! 

Have a great day!



Last edited by Malakies on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply by mild_mannered_super_hero, on Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:05 am
Malakies wrote:

 My goal is to hopefully be able to go longer than 24 hours, but even if I do the24 hours, I am extatic !!!

if you are contemplating Irrigatin and are on the fence or scared , like me,  DO IT! 

 


to get longer  times between irrigating you must limit your fiber intake.  have you tried high protien low fiber diet ? you should be able to get 48 hours easily.  

 

thanks for posting this thread, i agree that irrigation really helps manage life with an ostomy. regards. mmsh

WAB
Reply by WAB, on Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:04 am

Irrigatping ?.....ok.... Irrigating...lol..........just small typo.......on your part..........

sorry is just to let you know.........I agree irrigating sets you free.... what you eat as MMSH says helps you manage the length of time before another irrigation............I have been doing it 14 years now................one thing though I have not found a suitable stoma cap...........I wish the companies could make one that was 2 piece...  as most do ballon..........and do not release gas.......if anyone has found one that is 2 piece I would like to know.............

One thing you will find is that the more you irrigate you intestine muscles will get used to it and wait for it..........

 

 

Reply by Malakies, on Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:10 pm

Hey ! It was late when I was typing that! Hahaha. Thanks for your advice! Like I said, since I am stuck with this stoma, at least I am lucky to be able to irrigate! 

Reply by Cecille, on Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:55 pm

I could be wrong, but I think irrigating is only for people with a colostomy.  I have an ileostomy and the output is liquid. 

 

Perhaps someone can put me right on this?

 

 

Malakies wrote:

hi everyone 

I just want to take a moment to say "irrigation rocks!" I've had my ostomy since Sept. 2014  ( rectal cancer ) I am here to give anyone that can and is thinking of irrigating, to DO IT!  I started less than a month ago, and love it! It took me about two weeks after I recieved my irrigation kit, to actually begin the process. I was so scared to do it. I had all these crazy ideas in my head, about sticking the cone in my stoma, poop flying everywhere blah blah blah. basically anything to avoid doing the process. I am happy to say, I have it down to 35 minutes. Although I keep the bag on for an additional half hour just incase. Hey I am still new to this!  I am keeping "him" under control for a definite 24 hours! The first few days, it only lasted approximately 8 hours, until a bit of " stuff" came out. And that was nothing compared to what I was dealing with before irrigating! 

So, since I have my stoma companion for the rest of my life, I am SO glad I can irrigate and literally forget I have it! I am wearing little stoma caps that are super comfortable! My goal is to hopefully be able to go longer than 24 hours, but even if I do the24 hours, I am extatic !!!

if you are contemplating Irrigatin and are on the fence or scared , like me,  DO IT! It is liberating! 

Have a great day!



Reply by Helistens, on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:09 pm

Hi , I've been  irrigating fo over 30 years. The responses you have received are absolutly correct and I would  add that you have to learn over time, what foods trigger "firings". In my case it is ice cold ice cream, milk shakes and cold drinks over hot food like soups. I irrigate in the am with coffee and a good book, shower and put on a Hollister stoma cap. Also I find that any more than 2 cocktails can not only weaken my will, but also screw up  control.

Take the time and train your stoma and intestines "who is boss".

Have a happy healthy life!

Reply by Malakies, on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:08 pm

Yes Cecile   From what I understand not everyone is able to irrigate. I am lucky to be a candidate of irrigation! 

Reply by carolmcq, on Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:47 am

So no one told me about this irrigating - how do you do it?  Do you need different supplies?

Reply by Gwen, on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:22 am

Yes, irrigation is WONDERFUL! I also have rectal cancer, so am stuck with a colostomy permanently.

You do need separate supplies, just a few pieces you can order online from Edgepark, etc. Contact a wound/ostomy dept. at your local hospital, and they should be able to meet with you to explain the process and maybe even give you some starter supplies.

I use Cymed products. Very low profile, they stay on for longer periods of time. They can withstand hot tubs, baths, swimming. I wear a base, and use stoma caps and tiny bags to fit over them. 2 piece sets. The caps and little bags both have charcoal filters on them, so they filter out gas and don't totally balloon.

Reply by Malakies, on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:54 am

No one told me about irrigation at the hospital either. I was researching on line and found it. I then asked my surgeon if I was able to irrigate. ( depends on what type of surgery they have done on you) when he told me I could I made an appointment with an ostomy nurse and he talked me through it, BUT I already knew everything he said, because of all the research I had done. (Google is a wonderful thing, and so is YouTube)

My surgeon said that not many of his patients do irrigation, ( ones that can) and I can't believe it! I said, it's because no one gives them information on it! I don't understand why it is not given as an option to people. I bet it's a money thing...they can't make enough money off of it! Hahaha the supplies last a lot longer, and the stoma caps are cheaper! That's all I can think of! Why else? It's definitely something everyone should know about!

Reply by sunasea, on Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:50 pm

Hi I just started irrigating two months ago and wish I started three years ago.  It seems to take me about an hour, but worth it.  I do  find that some liquid and a small bit of stool sometimes releases into my mini pouch, but I guess that is normal for me, but better than what it has been like for the past four years.  Someone had asked if there is a two piece stoma cap; I think convatec has one, but I have not confirmed this yet.  Also, someone else in this feed asked if you can irrigate with an ileostomy - I don't think you can.  Lastly, where can I find these 'Cymed products?

Reply by Mrs.A, on Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:06 pm
sunasea wrote:

 Lastly, where can I find these 'Cymed products?


http://www.cymedostomy.com/ I think this is the link your inquiring about.

Reply by macsac1, on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:23 pm

I was told that irrigation makes your bowels lazy and not able to function on their own like a person who relies on enemas to have a bowel movement. Having had diarrhea in mid stream between bag changes, how do you control the output from irrigation without re-decorrating your bathroom in brown?

Reply by mild_mannered_super_hero, on Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:10 pm
macsac1 wrote:

I was told that irrigation makes your bowels lazy and not able to function on their own

 

 

, how do you control the output from irrigation without re-decorrating your bathroom in brown?


i dont belive this is true, i have been irrigating for several years and if i skip a day{irrigate every 2 days} my system works just like before .

 

 

while irrigating you wear a long "sleeve" it snaps on just like a pouch but hangs down in the toilet so any output is directed down  where you just flush it away. after your thru the sleeve is rinsed clean, rolled up and put away for use again.

Reply by sunasea, on Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:28 pm

Thank you for the website

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.
All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Currently online: 16    
4 members & 12 visitors
lovely (f)
w30bob (m)