Reversal, Success with What Underlying Condition

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Mary Ann

I had diverticulitis with stricture and abscess, reversal after a year and a half was a success, however it looks like others are not so successful. I suspect it might be due to the condition that caused the surgery in the first place. I have seen successful reversal with similar conditions as mine, but colitis and IBS seem less successful. I know before my reversal I was reading horror stories here, but their condition did not reflect mine.

So if success of reversal is related to the underlying condition, it might help people considering reversal if they had the full story.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mrs.A

Congratulations on your successful reversal. I must agree that knowing as much as possible before you move ahead is always a good choice.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Wilski

You are absolutely right. People on this forum assume that a colostomy is a colostomy. There are many reasons for performing the surgery initially and the reversal success is dependent on the initial cause. Like you, my colostomy was due to a burst diverticula. My fear and stupidity prevented me from reversing the procedure and not until I suffered a blockage in my peristomal hernia that was I forced to have the colostomy removed and a temporary ileostomy installed. Another year went by and I had the ileostomy reversed. All is perfect now and as if nothing ever happened, save the huge battle scar that is quite intimidating. Otherwise, I sh*t fine now, better than the time before my three surgeries.

Advice on reversals is dependent on other factors and one person's failure or success does not equate with another's.