Is it really the other ones that react negatively to our ostomy

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Malakies

is it us that have negative feelings about our ostomy. Are we the ones that make it difficult for others to accept our new buddy "stoma"?. I have had my buddy since September 2014, and at first didn't have a good relationship with him. I have grown to like him, he is kinda cute. I am sure there will be times when I will be upset with him, and he'll probably make me crazy, but he is a part of me, just like my chunky thighs, crazy curly hair, dimpled butt, and now my new breasts, although perky, decorated with scars. What I am trying to say, as a woman, I tend to be highly critical about my body, even before CANCER. So what is different now? I will still feel self conscious with or without mr. Stoma, and just like before CANCER, there will be a man that will like my dimpled butt, and chunky thighs, as well as my unruly stoma!

Ok that is all... Carry on. :)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mrs.A

Hi Malakies,

Your right most of us have always been our worst critics but as you grow older and see that it is who you become that is most important rather than what you look like, you can come to your terms with body image.

Altho I don't believe the stoma was much of an issue because the healing process itself was hard, it was difficult at first to go back to work wondering if anyone would notice.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate