Smoking and Colorectal Cancer: Personal Experiences?

Replies
Views
Rosiesmom

Hi, I hope I don't offend anyone with this question. Have you seen the latest stop smoking ad (horrible) linking colorectal cancer to smoking? I smoked for 50 years and was diagnosed with rectal cancer in 2013. I had surgery in March of the following year and now have a permanent colostomy. The question is, did any of you smoke before colorectal cancer diagnosis? Did I do this to myself? I am well adjusted to the outcome but the question lingers.

klark

Yes!! I was diagnosed in late 2009, radiation, 2 bouts of chemo, surgery, and a permanent colostomy that I refer to as "little skunky"!! I started smoking in my mid-teens and continued until I was 60. Did it cause my colorectal cancer? Maybe... I'm sure it greatly contributed to it, as well as a horrible diet and stress from maintaining a career and raising a family. Like you, I smoked for a long time, in the back of my mind, I always knew it was very bad for my health. Trying to stop was really difficult for me. It is what it is, as the saying goes. Don't beat yourself up over it, make the best of it as we are the fortunate ones who are still here and able to move forward with our lives. I hope this helps!! Regards... Kevin

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,455 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Rosiesmom

Thanks, and yes, I am very fortunate. Stoma and all. At least Rosie won't have to go through the tortures of trying to quit, ha.

three

The dance of "Cause and Effect" Rosiesmom is so intricate, it sometimes seems impossible to follow. I received my ostomy 8 years ago at the age of 50 after being diagnosed with Stage 2 cancer in the sigmoid colon. Since I was a teenager, I've lived a healthy lifestyle: no smoking, don't like alcohol, no drugs either legal or illegal, healthy diet with almost no meat, lots of exercise, have worked as a fitness instructor, understand how to experience inner peace regardless of what's happening around me, don't use harsh chemical cleaning products, etc.

My inner sense feels that life is like a school in which each of us needs to have certain experiences, and for me, this ostomy has opened up opportunities for learning and friendships that would not have been possible without it, so even though it may sound strange, my ostomy feels like a gift when I look at life with the eyes of clarity. It also helps when I remember I am not this body but the awareness within it — my body will one day, just like everyone else's body, return to the elements from which it came.

Rosiesmom

Thank you for the insight. As I said, I have adjusted to the new me. Rosie (my stoma) and I rub along quite well together. The adjustment to her was certainly easier than chemo, having my rectum fried with radiation, then having it stitched shut. After that, a stoma pouch, etc. is a walk in the park. So, as I said, she and I are fine. We have our funny moments, like when she decides to interrupt a conversation as only she can. I usually just say, "That was Rosie's contribution to the conversation." She is definitely not always a silent partner. Hey, we are still here to talk. It is what it is.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
medic361

Doctors always want to blame something. Here is what I blame: water that is poisoned with chlorine and fluoride, which are known carcinogens, and foods loaded with steroids. That's what I blame.

LadyHope

I too saw that commercial and was offended by it. I will just add my two cents... when I had the UC, two GIs told me that a medical study was being conducted claiming that smoking cigarettes actually helped cure UC. Can you believe it? I smoked on and off for many years and never had bowel issues. I quit completely in 2004 and made a promise to never smoke again. I ended up with UC in 2011/2012 and had surgery in 2013. Would picking up the habit during my UC flare have cured me? I often wonder. LH

Rosiesmom

Thank you for sharing. I found it so in-your-face scary. I was shown a film in high school when Adam was a boy. It showed black lung, etc. I still made the foolish decision to smoke, and if truth be told, enjoyed it for 50 years. The main reason I have quit now is more to give my hubby of 47 years some peace of mind. I hate all these scary cancer ads. We have enough to deal with.

Homie With A Stomie NS

Hunny, I have smoked for over 40 years and have no cancer history in my family. I have stage 4 bowel cancer. Everything inside has been removed except my lower bowels. I have an ileostomy and still smoke. I did do this to myself, not through smoking, but by not listening to my body. I knew there was an issue but pushed the doctor. I was misdiagnosed and after a few months, I couldn't take the pain. I went to the ER and directly to a 9-hour operation. The smokes didn't cause this, my DNA caused it. Like I said, I am still smoking after 40 years. It didn't happen then, only now. Don't guilt yourself over smoking, hun. It's my only bad vice and I enjoy it, but again, that's me.