White raised places under stoma - seeking advice!

Replies
Views
Anna9563

From Anna,

Hi all, recently I have noticed 2 white raised places under my stoma. Don't know what they are or how they started. Anyone had these and know what they are and how to treat them? Never had these and I've had my stoma over 40 years. I can't feel where they are cause I have Spina Bifida too. Mom and I are concerned about them. Tried covering them but they're still there. A few weeks ago I was on antibiotics. Could that be the cause? Like I said, these have only been there about a week and the antibiotics were 2 to 3 weeks ago.

Anna

ChrisP

How big are they?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,455 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Anna9563

From Anna,

Hi Chris, a little bigger than a pinhead.

Anna

ChrisP

Hmm, okay. I have something like that, it developed right on the edge, just on the skin by the stoma opening. Fiddly, as under the adhesive area. I took it to the experts, and after a lot of fiddling around (biopsy etc), they decided it was a skin feature, sort of vaguely like a polyp, come up in response to irritation/trauma. It hasn't gone away, but it is nothing exciting.

That was my experience - I hope yours proves to be something equally trivial!

Primeboy

Hi Anna. Over the past 5 years, I have occasionally had these raised pea-sized areas just outside my stoma ring. I never gave them much thought since they disappeared after about a week. Still, Chris, thanks for your information. Nothing should be taken for granted when it comes to stoma changes or strange growths.

PB

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Anna9563

From Anna,

Hi Chris, Mom and I now think it might be a little yeast. A couple of weeks ago I was on antibiotics after having a molar pulled. She also said I had it before and it went away. Hope this is what will happen this time.

Anna

Anna9563

From Anna,

Hi Primeboy, thanks.

Anna

Immarsh

Hi Anna all,

I just found your post, and thought I should write. About 10 years ago, I discovered a little white bump under the stoma, and it was quite painful. I gave it some time, but it didn't heal, and I learned to adjust the fitting of my flange, so it didn't irritate it. I didn't really have an "ostomy" doctor, but when I mentioned it to my gastro, he wanted to see it, but didn't know what it was, and thought I should see a surgeon. That thought freaked me out, and I just let "well enough alone". Hmmmm It stayed the way it was...sometimes more irritating than others, but didn't cause a problem.

A few years later, I was visiting a friend, got up early to use the bathroom, and emptied a pouch full of blood into the bowl. Scary. I took off my appliance, and blood started spouting all over her all white bathroom. I covered the stoma, and staunched the blood flow (which was coming from where that white "pimple" had been). I called the doctor and he had me rushed to the hospital.... No real diagnosis that day, but they cauterized the area, sent me home, and then it happened again the second day. Back to the hospital I went. This time, I was seen by a surgeon's team...but not the doctor himself. Was cauterized again....and made an appointment to see the doctor.

Diagnosis.... Pyoderma Gangarosum = Ulcerative Colitis (Ulcers) on the skin. Not uncommon with people who have had ulcerative colitis. That's when I found out that it's a systemic disease, and the body loses its resistance to fight off the disease, even though the large intestine is gone. I've had 3 more "bouts" with it.... It can burst, bleed, and then take months to heal. Or it can begin as an irritation (on my belly on my scar) and instead of healing becomes a "hole". That too took months to heal. I had another lesion on my waist from elastic that irritated my skin, and instead of healing a quarter-sized hole just kept getting bigger.

So, it really does pay to check it out, but don't be surprised if most doctors don't realize it. I actually diagnosed it on a friend of mine, who also had an ileostomy due to UC. We're both also diabetic, so that adds to the difficulty in healing. But you can see pictures of it online.

Best of luck to you.

LadyHope

Thank you, Marsha, for the information. I am just beginning to learn that UC is not cured when the colon is removed. Those docs were not completely accurate as I am beginning to learn. I also have some medical challenges since the UC 3 years ago. Very strange what the body does. Anyway, thank you again for your knowledge and experience with UC and the aftermath. Very much appreciated. Take care. LH

Anna9563

From Anna,

Hi Immarsh, thanks for replying. My white places are gone. We noticed yesterday.

Anna

Primeboy

Years ago, when I was first diagnosed with UC, my GI told me that the disease was "systemic" and that I might therefore expect symptoms in other parts of my body, especially the joints, the bones, and the skin. While everyone's experience is unique, I feel very fortunate because my UC symptoms were all manifested intestinally. So, with my colon's removal 5 years ago, I have come to think of myself as "UC free." Whatever minor issues I may have with skin or bones probably reflect aging as much as anything else. Again, that's just my situation.

PB