Emergency Preparedness for Ostomates: Ensuring Supplies During Crisis

Replies
Views
mild_mannered_super_hero

very wise, i too wouldnt be surprised to see some civil unrest especially in larger cities. thankfully i am in a rural area nbspand am pretty self sufficent. i would advise some     nbsp
means of protecting what you have, imagine what people will do after that 3 day food supply runs out !!

Primeboy

Hi Gerald. Your advice is well taken. Over the years, I have scrimped on my ostomy supplies in anticipation of a day when the federal well runs dry. My monthly allocation of federally funded supplies allows me to change every 2 days, but my real need is actually every 4 days. I am able to build a stash while helping out some folks who need a little help with an extra bag or flange. I have always feared that hard times are coming, and I want to be in a position to do some good. Several years ago, just before Hurricane Sandy in Jersey, I walked the aisles of supermarkets and saw empty shelves. No bread, no milk, no staples. Anything can happen to disrupt the harmony of a world we take for granted. Sure, ostomates will be inconvenienced with the absence of supplies, but so many others with basic necessities. Readiness is all, said Shakespeare. Let's just hope what we want to make available can be made available without hesitation. Resources should be identified and delivered without fanfare to the needy. Maybe in our zeal to benefit humanity, we could inventory our resources and make them available for the general good. I would love to share my bags, flanges, strips, powder, etc., with any poor bloke who needs help.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,450 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero

John, your good character, as always, is shining through. I think 95% of people would share and pool resources for the common good of mankind. However, we must not forget that other 5%. I have an image burned into my mind from the Rodney King riots back in the 1990s. That image is of miles of burned-out buildings... the only thing not destroyed was the few places that contained "good guys" that had the forethought to arm themselves and were willing to defend what was theirs, in that sea of destruction, a very few "islands". Not a pleasant thought, but still a reality. Be well, my friend.

Bettyjoe

Hello, I often wonder, what will happen if such does really happen. I do hope that you guys are fine and that you do not run out of supplies. Keeping a reserve is a good idea for self and others. It's scary.

Emra

I am new to all of this - my emergent colostomy was on 4/28 of this year. While I have insurance coverage, there was a problem with the ostomy supply order being filled. In one sense, that was good because the flange/pouch I was using turned out to not be the right fit. Once we found the right fit and I was again waiting for my supplies through my approved vendor, I ended up ordering from Stoma Bag dot com a one month's supply of everything I need. That is my backup. I know that others cannot afford to do that and some folks do not even have coverage so....

When my reversal is done, I will be giving my surgeon all of the unopened supplies I have on hand. He had asked if I would consider as some of his patients do not have insurance coverage. I didn't give it a second thought. I remember seeing a poster once that said "don't repay kindness, pass it on."

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Bettyjoe

That is so wonderful. Good for you. I can't imagine how those patients feel. I am want to start investigating for several reasons, but specific to less maintenance with the pouches. Good luck on your reversal. I have a permanent colostomy.