Not into music?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
leah

Hi, am I the only person who doesn't like music? I don't have any CDs or a music machine. My friends think I'm nuts, lol.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,103 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

moonshine

I am replying since no one else has... to not like music makes me think you have other issues... but give it a try - it is a miracle

- However, I come from a musical background family... I can't admit this - if I am a little down and out... 'the blues' I don't listen to music... sort of self-torture if you ask me

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
leah

Thank you for your reply. I don't think I have any other issues that make me not like music. I just find it quite annoying.

I don't like the way a song can make your emotions change, like a sad song making you think of lost loved ones, etc.

I appreciate that a lot of people love music. I just don't get it. But hey, that's me. I'm sure there are lots of things I like that others don't.

Maybe it was because I was brought up in a very strict orphanage and I never heard any music until I ran away at 16. But who knows? X

Bill

Hello leah.

I too don't have any of the music machines that most people seem to have nowadays. It's not that I dislike 'all' music - it's more that I like to choose that music which helps me relax and enjoy life. It's much the same with looking at pictures or engaging in other activities. I like to do what I like to do and that sometimes sets me apart from the majority.

My dughter and her family don't have television! In this day and age people simply do not understand how she and the family can live without it. Personally I can fully understand this point of view as watching modern TV seems to be the psycholgical equivalent of choosing to take a less than pleasant walk through a municiple rubbish dump.

You say that music makes your emotions change  - for me that it the very point of music, poetry, art etc.  some of this stuff can help change your emotions for the better. However, many of the composers of modern music  and verse do have unresolved 'issues' that they express through music, art etc.  Perhaps you are sensitive to their emotions as portrayed through their music.  I feel sure that if you become more discerning about what music you listen to you may well get something more positive from it. after all, if it can change your emotions one way it may well have the power to change them another more positive way. 

Best wishes  Bill

iMacG5

It's difficult for me to imagine life without music. I studied classical piano from an early age like so many other kids in my neighborhood in the forties and fifties. Radios played in every house I ever visited and live music seemed to be everywhere. I thought we all liked music and some of us loved it but were ashamed to admit we listened to the classics. A high C by Pavarotti, a thunderous Mahler symphony or just about any Mozart creation performed properly allows me to envision, even feel, the threshold to heaven. That's not to minimize the glorious experiences from Streisand, Groban, Humperdinck and many, many more great artists. Though not critical, I am truly sorry for anyone who has missed the pleasures of music. Hey, it's not too late. Try some. You might be surprised.

Respectfully,

Mike

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
leah

Hi Mike, thank you for your comment. I do appreciate it.

I can understand how a lot of people love all kinds of music. Believe me, I have listened to all kinds and have found it to be very annoying. Drums banging, singers screeching is all I seem to hear. I have heard lots of the classics and hate it.

I didn't start this topic for people to judge me, nor me them.

I don't believe in nor understand religion, but I can see how many people get a lot of comfort from their religions.

You feel sorry for me because I have missed the pleasure of music. Well, to me it's not a pleasure.

I am a professional artist, but many people do not like my work yet others come back again and again.

I just wondered if there was anyone else here that didn't like music, as I haven't met anyone yet.

PS. Bagpipes, panpipes, drums, violin, and flute. I really, really don't understand how anyone can enjoy listening to that racket.

But hey, we are all different. I'm pleased to say, x.

iMacG5

Hey Leah, I would not judge you for your artistic or religious preferences. I'm not authorized to judge you or anyone else for what you or they might do. Maybe I have opinions and they may differ from yours but they're just opinions and, if they come from just feeling rather than education and experience, they're probably not valid.

A lot of today's music fits your description; the screeching, drums banging, etc. The thought of bagpipes, panpipes, drums, violin, and flute together is as funny or scary as it gets. I would still prefer that to most rap.

My reference to the heavenly aspect of some music was probably a poor choice since there might not even be a heaven. People who are adamant about that might tell me to go to hell.

I think my main intention is for all people to enjoy all the things they can so long as they don't impose or offend others.

I hope I get to see your artwork and I hope I enjoy it. I would play Paderewski's Minuet for you but I know you would hate it.

Respectfully,

Mike

leah

Thank you. I think I misunderstood your previous comments. I know when someone is passionate about something, they want to share it with others and find it hard to understand when others don't feel the same. Here is some of my work. I'm a reborn artist. I make lifelike dolls. Honest opinions?

leah

leah

mild_mannered_super_hero

Very impressive work, Leah.

klark

Very impressive!! What a talent, looks so real!!

WAB

Very impressive... for sure... so real looking...

I was amazed when I saw these dolls, so I had to go check it out... Reborn dolls... I could not believe one sold for $22,600 on eBay... also the story about how one father dropped his 5-year-old girl at school... she always had her doll with her, but this time she left it in the car and the father went on to work... He parked his car and went in to work... someone saw the doll in the car and panicked and called the police... they smashed the windows to get to the baby inside... that is how real they are... amazing...

WAB

three

I can easily understand what you say, Leah. I once heard that the word for "music" in one of the ancient languages (maybe Sanskrit?) literally meant "attack on silence", and some great teachers over the ages have talked about "the power of silence". I'm surprised by the number of people I know who avoid silence by constantly having the TV or some other source of sound or music playing in the background. Although some music is sometimes delightful, I find much music is a pollution of the beauty of silence. It's interesting that sometimes the most powerful part of a song is the moment of silence in it that's unexpected.

As for your dolls, they are intriguing and make me wonder what they feel like. What materials are they made of?

iMacG5

WOW!  Holy (non-religious) WOW! I'm in awe and thank you for sharing.  You are truly an artist.  

With respect and admiration,

Mike

PS:  Now I'll try to write a reborn lullaby.  Don't know where to begin. 

Ewesful

I love some music but I do not keep music going like many do -- I taught so many years and love the peace and quiet....

moonshine

Sorry if it seemed like I am judging you...................I don't judge anyone - do what makes you happy - not everyone is going to like me or agree with what I do but that is life and it would be boring if we all were the same..................I don't like it when people try to hate or hurt..........and please don't try to scold me into changing my views --- and I don't mean you - anyone...........just enjoy something

leah

Hi there, thank you for your comments. I too love the quiet and peacefulness throughout the day. I work in silence, which helps me concentrate. The head and limbs are made from silicone vinyl and they have a weighted soft body, so they feel like a real baby. They weigh anywhere from 2lbs to 15lbs. The hair is kid angora hair. Baby goat's hair is lovely and soft, just like a real baby. I'm currently working on a five-year-old child doll. I reborned a manikin doll for a shop window. She looked so real that people were talking to it through the window. Thank you again... Leah

leah

leah

Thank you very much, Mike, for your comments. I'm glad you like them, Leah.  

PS I'll look forward to the lullaby. X

leah

three

Thanks for the info, Leah. If you ever found a good videographer and posted a YouTube video showing the process of creating a doll, I'm sure you would get many, many views.

leah

Hi three.

Thank you, but there are quite a few tutorials on YouTube.

And to be honest, I don't want to give away my tricks of the trade.

Although I say it myself, I'm classed as a very good reborn artist and I make dolls for TV shows.

Coronation Street, EastEnders, and even the illusionist Derren Brown.

Some of the artists on YouTube are amateurs trying to make a fast pound, and the dolls aren't top quality.

Leah

Gwen in LA

No, there is at least you and me in the universe. I am so tired of being pounded by music, even in the supermarket. Soundtracks in a movie are 'ok' but music in general, overrated. Some types of music are worse than others. I did buy a CD of Andean flute music to play on a long car trip, and some steel drum music, ditto. For car CD player. nbsp

Can't seem to avoid being bombarded in restaurants, supermarkets, even clothing stores. I walked out of a store recently after asking them to turn down the music. nbspThey would not, so left my travel wardrobe in the dressing room cart (about $300 worth of clothes). That music was so loud it hurt...and I walked out.

Stopped listening to music, and dropped out of pop culture about 25 years ago, FWIW. No interest. I also don't like to dance.

The CDs I did  own were books and old-time radio programs. All of which were recently stolen when my car was broken into. No big loss. My ostomy backup supplies were thrown in the street but they did not realize my folding scooter was in the back of the car, and was not touched. Close call!

Gwen in L.A.

Immarsh

Hi Leah, loving or not loving music is a personal choice....not to be judged by anyone... Personally, I love some, like others, and can't stand the sound or tempo of rap, hip hop, or other loud, brash sounds called "music".

But I do love "art", raised as an artist, and am in love with your "reborn" baby dolls....So beautiful, they make me want to cry...or smile, or both.

Best regards

Marsha

Mrs.A

Well, I seem to hear music in things like when it's raining, often when it's hitting different objects nearby, and sometimes when the wind is whistling through the tree branches and their leaves are being tossed about. I like music.

And your work is beautiful!

jason205

You are insane!!!

iMacG5

Hey Jason, who?  All of us?

Mike

Zywie

Honest opinion: First time I ever saw these dolls, I thought they were freaky, sent goosebumps up my spine - still do. There seems to be something a bit macabre about them, like stuffed babies, in my mind. But you do a great job for those that like this stuff. I am a doll collector, btw, and would not have one of these. As for the music, to each his own. I happen to love it even though there are long spans which I do not listen to it because I like to listen to silence also. I loved music a lot more when I could dance with abandon, but my body kind of limits that these days.

Smile