Sharp Pain at 1:00 Spot - Seeking Advice and Support

Replies
Views
skidder

I have been an ostomate since 1971 - age 21 with Crohn's being the cause. As with many ostomates, I have had several resections, 2 hernia repairs, revisions...you name it, I've been through a lot! I am presently experiencing sharp pains right above my ileostomy stoma...in the area that would be 1:00 if you were looking at a clock. I had surgery in July 2014 for hernia repair and a revision of ostomy from left side to right side. The pain began in Dec. 2014. The GI doctors said it was from a severed nerve and it would subside in time. Well, here I am, what started as dull poker-like burning several times daily to sharp burning pain ALL THE TIME. I have been to a pain clinic...they tried me on hydrocodone and now OxyContin. NOTHING TAKES AWAY THE PAIN. When I grit my teeth and press hard on the exact area where I feel the pain, it's projectile poop! DUCK!!!!!!!

Has anyone had this or has this? What are your thoughts? I go back to my GI doctors in Walter Reed/Bethesda on Wed., the 29th of July. I don't need drugs until they find out the source THEN treat it. Not the other way around.

Help!

iMacG5

Sorry Skidder.  I'm not a medical person but it just seems like poop is trying to get through an area that's restricted somehow at that 1:00 spot.  When you push there it it forces the plumbing to open and the stuff escapes in a hurry.  A colonoscopy should allow a good doc to determine exactly what's causing this and plan on a fix.  Hope you can hold out 'till the 29th.  Please keep us posted.

Good luck,

Mike

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,419 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

skidder

Thanks, Mike. All input to my output is greatly appreciated. It is what it is! I always manage to spring back nicely. Sometimes I feel like the 'spring' is getting rusty! Thanks again.

skidder

I went to my scheduled appointments on July 29th. I saw my GI doc and he had me go have labs drawn. Several days later they called me with the results and my B-12, calcium, Vit D, and magnesium are low. They also scheduled me for an appointment with the surgeons who did my surgery in July 2014. They will be checking for a hernia, any obstructions of sorts, and a digital exam into the stoma, not far! I dread that. Also on the 26th of Aug., I have been scheduled for an Endoscopy with sedation. The endoscopy will not be necessary if they find the reason for this continual pain when they do the digital.

Here we go again. On a personal note...I have had surgeries in the past and have always bounced right back. The surgeries I've had...Oct. 2013 and the one in July 2014, which were both done by the same surgeons, (not the surgeries prior to 2013), I almost feel they screwed me up. They say the pain is from a severed nerve during the most recent surgery. They don't want me taking pain meds. I go to a civilian Pain Clinic for pain meds. My answer to them is FIX THE DAMNED THING IF YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS.

I'm running out of patience and I'm sick of being sick.

A complainer, Skidder

iMacG5

Hey Skidder, IMHO you have every right to complain.  I'm not sure you're being heard and maybe a second or third opinion might help.  Wish you relief, soon.

Respectfully,

Mike

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Mark1070

I hope they find the source. It seems an obstruction would be logical. Have you noticed a bulge in the 1:00 area that might indicate a hernia?

R/Mark

Mrs.A

Hi Skidder,

I'm sorry you're in such pain. You must have a high pain tolerance to be able to wait so long. Thank the Lord the 26th is coming quickly and you will soon be looking back at it with information about what they have found. I understand not liking the endoscopy, I remember how uncomfortable it is to have a tube down my throat but at least you will be sedated and then it will come right out. Is it possible the digital exam will be an ultrasound to check for a hernia or obstruction?

I will say a prayer and ask the Lord to strengthen you and that the doctors find out what is going on. I hope you are getting the missing vitamins you're lacking as well. I take D3 three times a week and magnesium weekly, as well as B complex daily.

skidder

Sad to say, I am still in pain as I was in Aug 2015. The pain started in Nov 2014 LRQ abdomen at 1:00 if one were to look at a clock. I have undergone several tests "all of us ostomates go through". I even went through a procedure SCS which is Spinal Cord Stimulator. If anyone is curious about the procedure, you can google it, it's too much for me to write here! It worked briefly so I am scheduled for the permanent implant on 1-14-2016. The temporary SCS was removed 5 days after being placed so I am still on the Oxycodone 5mg tabs. After being on that dose since 11-2014, it's not very effective but if I were to ask for a stronger dose, he'd think I was addicted! Oh well!

I went to my PCP for pain (in addition to the LRQ) in the URQ underneath my rib cage. Now he wants me to have a cck Hida scan to see if the gallstones I do have are blocking a duct. I am in the process of getting a referral from my PCP sent to Walter Reed Naval Military Medical Center. God only knows how long that will take. I'm being the squeaky wheel!!! I have kept after these docs and their receptionists/nurses to where they call me by my first name!

With the holidays coming, I at least hope to get the CCK Hida scan done and pray ALL my pain can be given what causes it, why it's there, if that is possibly causing the pain in both areas and what can be done about it. I just might be getting closer to an answer... well hey, it's only been a year....

Everyone, have a wonderful