Shower Dilemma: Keeping Bag Dry?

Replies
Views
vpl

When people on here say that they manage to wear their bag for several days – how do you manage in the shower? I always remove mine before having a shower every day, then put on a new one when I'm dry.
I have tried leaving my bag on in the shower (I wear a one-piece urostomy system), but it takes so long to dry afterwards and you can't dress with it still wet.

mild_mannered_super_hero

I have a colostomy and can wear the same skin barrier for weeks. I wear a 2-piece system and simply put on a new pouch after I get out of the shower, after first patting dry the small tape edge of the barrier. In cooler weather when I don't shower daily, I change the pouch every 2 days anyway as that is about the life of the filter on my system.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,372 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

xnine

I have a 2-piece Hollister system. I made myself a shower curtain from some plastic and an elastic belt. It does not keep it completely dry, but I think it keeps my flange secure for a few more days than without it (I get 7-10 days before I change it all out, I change my pouch mostly every day). I just pat it down and let it air dry. Others have posted that they use a hair dryer and no curtain.

vpl

Thanks for the advice - unfortunately, I don't have an electric plug socket in the bathroom for a hairdryer. Those that have a urostomy will know that there is a constant output and to leave the bathroom with an uncovered stoma would be disastrous!

iMacG5

Hey Vpl, I think it would be worth your while to use xnine's advice about the shower curtain.  I uses plastic bags of all sizes, different tapes, belts, etc. and the appliance still gets wet.  Paper towels, TP and a hair dryer take care of that in about 2 minutes.  Can you get a heavy duty extension cord to reach from a nearby receptacle to the bathroom?  

You'll figure it out, I'm sure.

Respectfully,

Mike

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
xnine

I am saying shower-covered and dry-covered.

Rosiesmom

This is why I use the two-piece Coloplast Sensua system. I remove the pouch, shower, and dry off my base. I also keep a light coating of Vaseline on the front of the base. It makes cleanup easier, protects, and acts as a slight waterproofing. I have had Rosie since March of last year, and this way has never failed me. I also don't have many issues with leaks, as the Vaseline helps with sliding into the pouch better. I change bases at least twice a week and bags daily as needed. When I am at home, I wash pouches with antibacterial soap and hang them in the shower to dry.

Rosie's Mom