Allergic to ostomy wafer adhesive. Need help!

Replies
Views
chellebean

I have had my ostomy for over 15 years. I've had sensitivities to tapes and band-aids, but am now allergic to the adhesive on my wafers. I've tried Coloplast, Convatec, and Hollister. Any ideas? There's not an ET nurse close to where I live.

LadyHope

Hi Chellebean, I am sorry to hear about the adhesives causing you trouble. My only suggestion would be to keep trying different products... I see that you tried several new products but there are many others available. You may want to call the manufacturers and ask for samples. Also, I would reach out to the UOAA and peruse their webpage. They may have an online wound care nurse to help you with the allergy. Good luck to you. LH

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,444 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

iMacG5

Hi Chellebean.  If it's the adhesive at the perimeter of the appliance there are different things to try.  If your skin is excoriated, that needs to be fixed before you handle the tape problem.  Please give us some more details.

Respectfully,

Mike

Ewesful

I have extreme sensitivity now as well --- I am using the stomahesive powder but I can ONLY use the Smith and Nephew Skin Prep. I have a massive reaction to all the others. My nurse suggested a dual layering and then the bag -- however now that I have the sensura bags I am ok with one coat. I am allergic to so many of the glues etc-- I have to use paper tape but the new stretchy barrier strips are excellent -- cannot use anything without a bit of a "skin rest" in the sun or warm air. I feel for you and would love to know if you get any new ideas on this --- I have been tested for all the current adhesives.

Past Member

Hi chellebean....I have had my ileostomy for over five years now...I struggled with the same problem ...this is what I did...I now use Coloplast wafers..but I cut off the paper part and just use the center part...no extra adhesives....just clean your skin and make sure it's dry...this is the only thing I found to work. Less is more.....hoping for all the best

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

I have been allergic to all adhesives since having ostomy surgery 6 years ago. I recently discovered a new product from Hollister called "CeraPlus." It's been a lifesaver! It's the only product I'm not allergic to, and the wafer stays on for almost 2 weeks at a time. I would definitely recommend looking into it. I'm sure they can send you samples.

https://www.hollister.com/us/ostomy/news/CeraPlus.html

And when my skin is really irritated and needs a break, I use a Hollister wafer with the plastic backing still on it and half of a Hollister Barrier Ring. I hold it all on with a belt. It's not ideal, but it will give your skin a chance to breathe.

Hope this helps.

Mark1070

CB,

I found that I was allergic to several wafer adhesives, as well. I ended up using a very light layer of Cortizone 10 directly on the adhesive. It has worked well for over five years. You may need a little more at first, but spread it as lightly as possible so that the adhesive remains sticky. Good luck.

R/Mark