Overwhelmed with Health Issues and Decisions to Make

Replies
Views
Immarsh

Thank you to Rosiesmom, for noticing that I've not been "around" posting responding as usual.

The last few weeks have been difficult for me, and I'm trying to cope with so many ( not life threatening) medical and financial issues, that I have become overwhelmed.When that happens, I cry...and I wallow, "for just one more day", and it's now been more than a week.

To start with, I have to make a decision of not "if" but when to put my house up for sale, because I just cannot afford it anymore. So I'm starting to purge "stuff", which is very upsetting. But after talking to objective friends/ some family, I've come to the conclusion that I have to start being practical, instead of emotional, and pave the way for an easier life for the years I have left...

Friend issue... The relationship I have with a very dear friend ( and her family) is coming to a very sad end....It's very emotional, and there's nothing I can do about it.Just learning to cope with the loss.

Medical issues....

I have Hep C, and went through Treatment, in 2003 and vowed to never do it again. It didn't work!Now my doctor wants me to go through the new treatment, and I don't have trust or faith, that1( it will work, and 2, that I won't have awful side effects.

Fighting with medicare....they won't approve a new c-pap, for my sleep apnea, because I received one 2 years ago( when my old one burnt up, while I was asleep). But a new sleep study revealed that I need higher pressure than I can get from this machine... very frustrating.

I have had issues with bacterial kidney stones, that don't break up ( due to a damaged kidney) I was in kidney failure 2x before, the last time in Jan of 2014.I had the surgery, and had a myriad of complications that lasted more than 4 months.The "stones" are back, and I dread having to go through the surgery again. Just had the tests, and am waiting to discuss that with the doctor.

I have ongoing "pains in my legs", with Perpheral Artery Disease symptoms, but because I have strong pulse, it's not PAD... Was sceduled for tests...bu medicare didn't approve the Veinous series....and so I had to cancel the appointment and "fight it out". More stress, and I'm hobbling...

Throat issues...When i had surgery last year, they had trouble intubating me, and my throat swelled up. I had to have the tube in my throat for 4 days, while I was awake.It was awful, and caused PTSD nightmares ( suffocating symptoms) for more than a year. After doing a lot of research,I found a, NYC Throat doctor...traveled ther, only to findhetreats ( sleep issues ) not throat issues. I need to find another doctor, to resolve the throat issue...before I need surgery yet again.

The above issues, are just a few of the things that are adding to my feelings of frustration, despair and sadness. The irony of it all, is that I basically feel good, actually better than I have in a long time.But my time is being taken up by calling doctors, insurance companies, medicare, or going to doctors/ tests etc...to update results.

I manage to get up, dressed and out every day, and even schedule things with friends, but my heart isn't in it, and I would prefer to jusst stay home, wallow, eat, watch tv, or listen to my audio books.

I try not to burden my ( adult) kids, as they have their own medical issues, and there is nothing they can do about mine.I've overwhelmed them in the past, and they just lost their father last year, after a long year of his decline... My sister is going through her own medicalissues, and though she supports me...I don't want to overburden her either.I can no longer afford the therapist I've seen in the past, and I'm waiting for an oppening to see a therapist who takes my insurance...

I apologize for the length of this....I know I encourage others to write, vent and share, but haven't ever done it myself. I know there are no easy answers..It's just that going through all the above, is depressing.All I really want to do , is splurge...charge the air fare, and fly off to Australia to visit my little Aussies. Hmm... a new tooth, a new microwave, or another visit to Oz?

WAB

/></p>
						</div>
					</div>
                    <div class=

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero

life is a constant struggle, so sorry that yours seems overwhelming at the moment. good thoughts and prayers that things turn around soon.

take some comfort from the fact that your posts on here help others who may be in simular circumstance. that is the good thing about this site,

just discussing our problems sometimes help others more than ;we know.

Mrs.A

Hi Marsha,

I, too feel for you, life can be overwelming at times for all of us. Try and just deal with one thing at a time in the order you feel needs to get the most attention. Meanwhile I will keep you in prayer, altho I feel from reading many of your posts, you are a strong woman who will find a way to make things work.

Immarsh

I'll be the first to admit....sometimes we do.But I don't do it on social media sites like Facebook.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
LadyHope

Hi Marsha, I just read your post and am so very sorry that everything is piling up, health, bills, life, and so on. Not being over the top enthusiastic ;for ;the day is okay because sometimes we need to recharge ourselves. The batteries are low. I noticed that you have not posted in a while and thought maybe you were away on vacation and traveling around.So many people vacation during these lovely summer months. I really enjoy the summer months and get a little sad when the Fall approaches. I am definately not a Winter person. I enjoy a fairy tale snowfall once or twice per season but that is it. I want the warmer months back and quickly...LOL

Yes, I agree with you that insurance is such a royal pain...it frustrates me ;too. Know that you are not alone in the insurance pool of irratation. I often write one day at a time and try to practice it in all of my affairs. Sharing is part of healing. Once I write something down or talk it out with someone, I feel better as the weight of the problem lifts,. A friend of mine used to say...life happens when ;you are making other plans. Life has a way of happening, doesn't it?If a trip to OZ would make you happy, I vote for the trip. You could also take a smaller trip to St. Louis in Sept and hang out with the UOAA group. I am looking forward to the get away. And, if all goes as planned, I will be there.Take care Marsha and keep posting. This is our safe haven to share with others who understand best. LH

Rosiesmom

Hi, I vote for Oz also. Escapism is highly underrated. Sometimes life can just get in the way of living. Insurance companies are the bane of most our lives. I am sorry that life is piling up on you, if you feel well enough to do the trip, go for it. God willing the rest will be worked out and when you get back you may feel emotionally stronger to tackle it. Keep posting, it is cathartic. My Grandson 26 ;was feeling overwhelmed recently and was about to go to N.Y. I told him go up the Empire State building and just scream lol I figured all those nuts in the big apple nobody would bat an eye. Take care and I hope we can talk soon.

Rosiesmom

Pinky

Marsha, you could NEVER "overshare" here - in the karmic scheme of things you are owed so much time here for all you have done for others on this site. I'm agree with MMSH - our lives are a mammoth struggle everyday, and I have had similar stuff you mentioned dumped on me, but you are getting the mega-whammy just now. I reviewed your profile again, and applaud you being 62 having the spirit of a 25 year old. Sometimes I feel like I'm 57 with the spirit of my 91 year old mother :( So even though this is way more than a "bump in the road" for you (remember those old commercials for Bandini mountain?) you and all of us know you will persevere and win out over this trial. I am really sorry about your house - that is a super-hard thing to go through.

I say too go for what will lift your spirit most (probably NOT the microwave) and don't be too hard on yourself wanting to veg out for a few days whilst deciding. Hang in there, sweetie - it's what you do BEST! ;Pinky

Ewesful

You will be in my prayers. I can also say that I had to reduce my living space and rent out half the house -- very hard decision and I will never be totally settled but that is my fault for having so many hobbies that take up room!! ;You will do better with less to clean and care for...I am actually having a wonderful time finding the right places for stuff - art departments at schools - libraries - places that distribute to less fortunate etc----

As for health -- you need to make the list and decide each week what your focus will be -- trying to spread yourself too far ;will get nothing done and you will feel awful about yourself -- I break my day list into 3 things - one I know I can do - one thing that a real stretch but possible if I have a good day of energy and one ;more that sort of is inbetween -- I have them written and I ove the method as I can focus now ---

Do check with the hospitals and Dr's as they sometimes have a leeway in how they can get services to you....Good luck

Bill

Hello Marsha.  Thanks for your post it made for a most interesting read.  Like others on here I feel for you in these times of greatest pressures and hope that you take the good advice that's been offered and gradually work your way through the 'workable' problems. Also, with those problems that simply won't go away no matter what you do - I hope that you will be able to 'manage' them so that they don't impinge on your liffe too much.  The Auzzie trip idea sounds like just the sought of tonic and distraction that is needed at times like these and here's hoping you get to make it reality in the near future. I did feel a pang of 'survivor-guilt' when I heard that you couldn't get a new CPAP machine as last month I went for a check and the technician had no hesitation in providing me with a brand new machine -simply because mine was now past it's sell-by date. There are certainly some great advantages in having a National Health Service here in the UK. Best wishes

Bill

veejay

Maybe you could investigate moving to Australia permanently?

The public health system isn't too bad. Much better if you can afford private health cover of course.

In Australia ostomy supplies are free. (within reason).

Oz...not "the greatest country on earth" just the best!

VJ.

Immarsh

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. I spend a lot of time encouraging others, but hesitate to put my own issues onthe table. it is cathartic to write it down, to share, and to hear the encouraging support and suggestions of others...

Here's the update...I made an appointment ( finally) with a therapist, so I can hash out the really upsetting issues that keep me awake at night.

I have made a list of the different medical / insurance financial issues that need to be addressed, knowing that I'm not going to get it all done in one day.But with "one day at a time", one issue at a time, I know that I'll resolve what needs to be done.

Veejay, I wish I knew you were there when I was in Melbourne a few years ago. It would have been fun to meet up. Perhaps next year...as I hope to get to the Gold Coast againto see my kids

As much as I would love to make another trip to Oz this year, I had to make the financial choice between replacing 2 ( nearly front teeth) and the needed forgreat escape to Oz.Instead, I'm taking advantage ( as lady hope suggests) of enjoying the beautiful NJ summer weather..Pool, beach, outdoor gatherings,trips into NYC to meet my sister or friends.

I'm coming to terms with the necessity of selling my house ( eventually) and have finally started to clean out the garagedonating,and purging "stuff". In this case, less is more...and I say that to myself as the anxiety mounts.Reality is,it's just stuff, and becauseI give thingsaway, I still retain the memories.In some case, I just take a picture. When I pare down all I own, to 3 rooms of stuff, I'll be ready to move.

Enjoy rest of our Summer, and to those inOz,enjoyyour beautiful winter weather!

Marsha

Rosiesmom

Hi Marsha,

happy to see your post you sound in a more positive frame of mind. At least you have a plan. Sometimes that is half the battle.

i am sure you therapist will also be a great sounding board. I will call you soon. At the moment I sound awful as I picked up a super headcold whilst visiting my friend in N.C. I hate head colds, they are so annoying. Continue to take care.rosiesmom

Mrs.A

That's a wonderful update Marsha

Sometimes so many things happen at once we can't see the trees through the forrest. But now your on the right track, one thing at a time with the one day your living in. I'm happy for you! I like clearing things out of the house, sometimes it inspires me to re arrange and find a better more organized way to keep what I need. Humm, maybe I'll join you before winter gets here, surely I have stuff I can live without!