Overwhelming fatigue after ileostomy surgery - will it improve?

Replies
Views
Susans53

I had surgery 2 weeks ago. Besides just feeling numb, I can't shake this overwhelming feeling of fatigue. Will it get better? I would have posted this in forums but don't know how? I click on forums but nothing comes up to post on.

help$eeker
Hi... Susan... You don't need to worry, those kinds of feelings will get off as you recover day by day. You just need to have patience and be strong because everything takes time to get things back to normal. Next time you want to post something on the forum, just click on the FORUM, then click on START A NEW TOPIC. Then you can choose your related topic from the CATEGORY LIST and voila, you can start sharing your experiences... - Take care and get well soon -
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,315 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

latina63

I am almost 3 years post-op ileostomy reversal surgery... The fatigue is better, but sometimes it is still there. You will gradually get better... Praying for you.

Mark1070

Susan, after my emergency surgery, my GI doc told me it'll take about a year for the strength to return. It was more like two years until I felt fully recovered. Certainly, my health was very poor for several years before almost dying, but try to be patient. Do a little more each day. Eat well. Lots of protein. Time will pass then, one day, you'll be living life and realize that you feel good.

Past Member

I just had ileostomy surgery on the 23rd of July. I'm taking oxycodone for pain, Xanax for anxiety, and Wellbutrin for depression. We've been through a lot physically and emotionally. The Wellbutrin helps with mood and definitely improves energy. If you are on pain medication, you will be tired. You can't fight it.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Susans53

I'm only taking Lexapro. I've been off pain meds since I came home and I've cut out the Ativan because it was making me too sleepy. I guess you just can't fight the recovery process. :(

Rosiesmom

Hi Susan, it really is very early days yet. Your whole system has been through a trauma, not to mention the emotional hit. It takes time also for all the mess etc to clear your system. Please try to be as patient with yourself as you would be if this was a friend or family member. All too often I think we forget to be kind to ourselves. Rest when you need to and add a little every day to what you can do. Hey, this may be one of the few times in life when you get to be lazy with no guilt. Lol, you are doing great. Rosiesmom

Susans53

Thank you, Rosie. I am finding this part, the exhaustion, very discouraging. I try and push myself, but then I'm like a zombie. When will this end? I'm 3 weeks today. Yesterday, my son took me to do some errands and by 4, I passed out for like 2 hours, and that was it for the rest of the day. I could not move. This can't be right? My bloods are good. I don't understand.

Rosiesmom

I am sorry this is causing you such stress, and that may be part of the problem. Recovery is not an instant mix and go thing, how long did it take after your children were born (besides the sleep deprivation thing)? Well, you just gave birth to a stoma. So give it time. Perhaps you are not eating enough or the right foods. Some are hesitant to eat properly due to output. Perhaps talking to a nutritionist might help if you think that could be a contributing factor. Take care. Rosiesmom

LadyHope
Hi Susan's 53, I agree with Rosie's mom...be easy on yourself....you just had major surgery and the body is adjusting to the change. I was also on several meds post-op which robbed my energy. Take it slowly and don't push yourself. Your body will tell you when enough is enough. And when it is enough, stop and rest. Plenty of rest is the key to healing quickly along with good nutrition. Remember, it has only been a few weeks....give yourself time. I began to feel more like my old self after about 3-4 months. A fellow ostomate told me to give it 2 years. I am now past the two-year mark and I feel pretty good most days. I still have my moments though and I listen to my fatigue as it talks to me through aches, pains, and moodiness. Take care and be gentle on yourself. LH
Bill
Hello Susans53.The comments so far seem to be giving you good advice and it pleases me that people have replied to your post so quickly. I am reluctant to tell you this is 'normal'as I'm not sure what 'normal' means in the context of illnesses and operations. I was expecting to be fatigued after my first operation (prior to the ostomy) so I sat and suffered without complaint thinking that it would get better. After a couple of weeks my wife thought I looked that much worse she insisted I called the doctor out. He immediately sent me to hospital for yet another operation because of complications. after that the fatigue gradually began to recede and now is only rarely present. I found that trying to make sense of this type of feeling was probably the hardest part of coping so I tend to write rhyming verse to distract me by channelling and focussing feeling through the writing. One such verse I wrote on the subject of Tiredness and illnesses I've blogged today. It may not quite fit you own situation but writing it helped me put the thing into perspective.I hope these feelings pass quickly for you.Best wishes Bill
Missymo

Way too early to feel anywhere well. It could take months to get over this. Good luck to you. Rest as much as possible. Xx

New Orleans guy

Healing takes time. Give yourself 6 weeks, do some walking and light stretching. Walking is a great way to get out in the sunshine. You will feel better soon.

New Orleans guy

Healing takes time. Give yourself 6 weeks, do some walking and light stretching. Walking is a great way to get out in the sunshine. You will feel better soon.