Ileus and Hydration Help

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Susans53

3 weeks out. Having trouble balancing. I read you need to drink 8 glasses of liquid. I'm having issues drinking so much and wanting to eat. I need to gain weight desperately. Also, I drink at least 2 cups of tea to get me moving and I read you can't count that so I guess I need to drink even more. 2 of those are also Ensure and that fills me up as well. I'm barely keeping my weight stable.

Also, the more I drink, the more liquid the output, and more comes out. It seems like a no-win situation. I thought this surgery was supposed to make my life better, but it seems all I'm doing is trying to eat, trying to drink. I can't even imagine doing anything other than that at the moment. Constant poo that needs to be emptied and then having to pee from drinking. I was up 3 times last night.

Feeling overwhelmed right now :(

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,103 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mark1070

Susan,

Try Gatorade or an alternative with electrolytes. I often make my own with orange juice and sodium. Enriched water additives can also help a lot. It can be challenging to stay hydrated. It seems you've already noticed that output will thicken when you're low on fluids. The opposite is true when you consume more liquid, but it is possible to thicken your output based on certain types of foods like rice. Do a Google search on how to thicken output. You'll find a ton of helpful information. Oh, and I try to limit fluid and food intake at least a few hours prior to sleeping. I hate waking up with either a full bag or bladder. Keep your head up. It'll get better.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
ron in mich

Hi Susan, I've had my ileo for 30 years now. Everyone is different and fluid requirements are different. I go by how my urine looks and I try to keep it at a pale yellow to clear. If it's darker yellow, I drink more water. Stay away from or limit sugary drinks or ones that have high fructose corn syrup. Your system is still recovering, so your output will tend to be more liquid. It will take time to settle down. As for eating, I eat several small meals a day.

Mrs.A

Oh Susan,

It takes time to get things under control. I don't have an ileo but I can sympathize with you. It has been since 05 for me but it is something I will never forget and is forever.

Please give yourself more time and read through the many threads here. YOU WILL get it together. Three weeks is barely any time in comparison to what our bodies need to heal.

Do you like smoothies? What about ice cream sodas? Root beer floats put weight on for me fairly quickly. And I must agree about the smaller meals as I still eat this way today.

Hang in there, it WILL happen.

Immarsh

Hi Susan,

I'm Marsha, and I've had my ileostomy for 50+ years, since I was 15. It will get better, and you will begin to figure out what foods work for you and what doesn't. Eating more often makes you "more active", but smaller meals are easier to digest, at least at the beginning. I've found, as many without ostomies have, that digestion changes as we get older. I was having severe bouts of dehydration and realized a few years ago that drinking milk and too much dairy doesn't agree with me. Since I'm also diabetic, I limited fruits and stayed away from a lot of whole grain foods, fearful of blockages. After reducing meat products (kidney issues), I found that I could tolerate grains, beans, and well-cooked veggies better than I anticipated. Without a colon (large intestine), water absorption can be uncertain. Checking the color of your urine is one way to monitor if you've consumed enough fluid. I gave up regular tea, carbonated drinks, and I limit the amount of coffee I drink. I also start the day with 8-16 ounces of water.... Just chug it down, after I brush my teeth, and after breakfast. That way, I know I get off to a good start. Give yourself the time you need to figure things out.

Best wishes

Marsha

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister